RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Latest HobbyKing Order - Update on Shipping + Duty (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=444593)

Halifan 08-05-2016 12:42 PM

Latest HobbyKing Order - Update on Shipping + Duty

I ordered a few things including some LiPo batteries this week from HobbyKing International. I know there is a lot of uncertainty about how much shipping + duty + broker fee's are with them when ordering from Canada.

Here is a summary breakdown of my order:

Total Spent via HobbyKing Invoice: $63.35 USD
Total Fee's from UPS Upon Delivery: $23.92 CAD

Here is a detailed spreadsheet of what I ordered and how much the final price per item after delivery (Google Sheet): https://goo.gl/vP1igA

All in all, I dont think it was that bad. Shipping was fast, and our local RC store doesnt obvioulsy carry even close to the selection and the cheapest battery they had for my plane was 450mAh 35C @ $33 if I recall correctly. And a Team Great Hobbies branded G3 Li-Po 11.1V 450mAh 3S1P 50C would come in at 25.65 per delivered. So in the end it was cheaper and that delivery time was FANTASTIC!

MRK 08-05-2016 02:56 PM

Re: Latest HobbyKing Order - Update on Shipping + Duty

Was UPS the only shipping option available?

I don't understand the Duty charge. Does the UPS invoice reference a tariff number?

How were the contents declared?

floyd 08-05-2016 03:46 PM

I think you did good. The last order I made from the States that was shipped UXX cost me more than what I spent on the order. I'll never use UXX or FXDXX again. FXDXX tried a real good one on my warranty repair sent back to the USA, even though I had all the paperwork. I did order some 18" props from HobbyKing that were shipped DHL. It got delivered and then a month later another invoice was sent to me. Again making the shipping more than my order. Cheers Floyd

4*60 08-05-2016 05:50 PM

It seems like if the stuff comes from the international warehouse by air the fees are more reasonable. I was going to get dinged duty on batteries when they called me but I asked that they put it through as hobby parts rather than lipos and the duty disappeared.
\My fees besides the original $30+ shipping were $10 brokerage + .50 tax on brokerage fee and then just taxes.
Still without taxes a shipment of packs cost me about $50 CDN in shipping and fees. So you have to order a few or get really good prices to justify.

excelsiuss 08-07-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floyd (Post 2968361)
I think you did good. The last order I made from the States that was shipped UXX cost me more than what I spent on the order. I'll never use UXX or FXDXX again. FXDXX tried a real good one on my warranty repair sent back to the USA, even though I had all the paperwork. I did order some 18" props from HobbyKing that were shipped DHL. It got delivered and then a month later another invoice was sent to me. Again making the shipping more than my order. Cheers Floyd

Ive experienced the same. Its just not worth it to order anything! from the US.

We Canadians have a free trade agreement where as we dont have to pay Tax or Duties on anything coming from China declared as a TOY or TOY PARTS. Or at least I have never had to pay Tax or Duties in many years of buying international from HK.

Go the USA route.. and you WILL get ripped off on the shipping/taxes/duties etc

aceplant00 08-07-2016 10:13 AM

items from US and international are not tax free. Most cases it is low enough value or HK has falseified the costs that Customs isn't bothered to collect the tax.

excelsiuss 08-07-2016 02:47 PM

If you dont pay the tax.. it's tax free :)

reo 08-07-2016 06:38 PM

I wouldn't suggest falsifying values on anything, but especially high ticket items, technically that would be smuggling and they can be seized. That said, I've had high ticket items, ($2K)properly declared, allowed though without tax so it depends on the day and on the agent I guess.

Halifan 08-08-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRK (Post 2968321)
Was UPS the only shipping option available?

I don't understand the Duty charge. Does the UPS invoice reference a tariff number?

How were the contents declared?

When checking out there was other more expensive options of shipping like overnight, I picked the cheapest option.. I'm pretty sure they were declared as electronics and not as Hobby Items / Toys which was the reason for the $3.77 Duty.. I decided to let them charge it since it was only $3.77 and plan to go back and see how hard it is and if possible to get it adjusted - just for the sakes of seeing how difficult the process is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4*60 (Post 2968481)
It seems like if the stuff comes from the international warehouse by air the fees are more reasonable. I was going to get dinged duty on batteries when they called me but I asked that they put it through as hobby parts rather than lipos and the duty disappeared.
\My fees besides the original $30+ shipping were $10 brokerage + .50 tax on brokerage fee and then just taxes.
Still without taxes a shipment of packs cost me about $50 CDN in shipping and fees. So you have to order a few or get really good prices to justify.

How long ago was your shippment? Unless you have a good local RC shop (which mine isn't the best) those prices after everything were cheapest I could get lipo packs for without driving to Charlottetown PEI - approx 3 1/2 hrs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by excelsiuss (Post 2969753)
Ive experienced the same. Its just not worth it to order anything! from the US.

We Canadians have a free trade agreement where as we dont have to pay Tax or Duties on anything coming from China declared as a TOY or TOY PARTS. Or at least I have never had to pay Tax or Duties in many years of buying international from HK.

Go the USA route.. and you WILL get ripped off on the shipping/taxes/duties etc

Anyhting you import you need to pay taxes on - it's the law. There is the personal exemption rules we have if you have spent time in the USA where you can bring back $200 / $800 worth of goods tax free depending on how long you were in the USA for, I use these frequently when I take a vacation to Maine or something and have stuff shipped to a Kinek Depot. If the item is below a certain value customs wont bother doing the paperwork of charging you the tax but technicaly it is the law for you to fill out the forms after you recieve the item and pay the appicable tax yourself, although no one does this...

Check out this page for Duty exempt stuff.

4*60 08-08-2016 11:28 AM

My shipment referred to was about a week ago. Currently south picking up my personal exemption in goodies.