RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Another Ultra Sport 60 Build (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=97164)

sled 11-29-2009 10:21 PM

Another Ultra Sport 60 Build

3 Attachment(s)
Yes folks another US60 build. Its not really my fault, I was going to wait until I had the US60 just about built, do 1/2 dozen posts with pics and commentary of my mistakes :rolleyes: and be done, simple straight forward, not dragged out over months.

And then.............

I find a Great Planes Ultimate build thread here on RCC, by a fellow club member, training buddy, flying mate (insert crash buddy here: :D and friend, Mr. Grab another garage bag Preston.

So you see its not my fault really, ...... it's Rob's! (Please check out Rob's build thread it should be good)

So, here's the plan for the US60.

Tail Dragger
Mechanical Rertracts
Solid Sheeted Wings
Split Elevators
Pull Pull Rudder
Dual Aileron Servo's
Flaps
Engine ... not yet decided. But heck I'am a long way from there right now.

Why you ask put all that into a great flying sport plane? Because I can ...... well maybe :mrgreen:

Starting with the traditional opening shot of the unopen box .... gee's it kind like your wedding night just can't wait to open the package!:wink:

sled 11-29-2009 10:28 PM

Re: Another Ultra Sport 60 Build

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of tail feather shots. Going with balanced surfaces. Easy mods to do. While the handling improvements are up for debate I do like the look.

sled 11-29-2009 10:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And here's a couple of the right wing build, with the mechanical retract.

robpreston 11-30-2009 07:18 AM

sure blame me

JohnM 11-30-2009 11:00 AM

Sled: I am sitting here with tears in my eyes from laughter. One of our club members we call Don "Swampman" Smith because he crashed (we think) in a near by swamp and we never did find his plane. That said: "Grab another garbage bag" has got to be the best nick name ever. . . Cheers

vonJaerschky 11-30-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sled (Post 658988)
Starting with the traditional opening shot of the unopen box .... gee's it kind like your wedding night just can't wait to open the package!:wink:

Unless of course like most kits it's been opened at the hobby shop by lots of other modellers so that everybody could have a look at what's inside before they buy......:p

Good luck with the model. Sure is a great flying airplane and always refreshing to see someone building instead of buying!

sled 12-01-2009 04:52 PM

Before I get to much further into this build, and I should have mentioned in my 1st post. The credit for most of the mods & updates to the airframe belong to MinnFlyer over on RCU and his Ultra Sport build.

However, the credit for poor execution is all mine ! :yes:

sled 12-08-2009 06:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Right Wing Build Update:

Completed sheeting both sides of the wing with 3/32". Preliminary filling sanding completed. Cut & rough fitted servo access hatches for aileron & retract servos. I'm pretty happy with the fit up of the mechanical retracts. It work out so well I might even try fitting wheel covers to the struts.

For those interested in the retracts, they are from the Hanger 9 Blue Nose P51. They appear to be solidly built, with over center springs. The retract servo attached directly to the retract (located under the hatch cover) for a nice compact installation. The only down side is the use of 2 retract servos (RT88's). The retract did come with a spring load strut with trailing link ..... very nice. However, only time will tell the true story on these retracts and only after a few of my exciting attempts at ...... landing :).

Well on to the left wing build. Here's hoping I can repeat the same mistakes made on the right. At least that way the wings will be symmetrical:TU:

darrenR 12-08-2009 07:11 PM

Looking good!!

zuiderdam 12-09-2009 09:10 AM

Ah, Torpedo Barry. Now i see what you have been talking about. Looks good! Keep us up to date.
What color scheme do you have in mind?

Jim