RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Cap 232 reconstruction (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=121281)

flysrcs 04-17-2011 09:09 PM

Cap 232 reconstruction

3 Attachment(s)
Hello, My name is Dave and I've seen many new builds lately on here and build alongs comlete with many picture along the way. They have inspired me to post a RE-buildalong. My little part of the hobby which I like is finishing / completeing orphans and theose projects that people have started then gave up on for whatever there reason. I had a Hangar 9 Cap 232 25% passed on to me that had seen better days. This is one of the older teal and blue. The pictures start out with the wing pretty much ready to recover. It was in several peices and ready for the scrap heap. Glued it back together using several long straight edges, glue, and an incidence meter. The ailerons were solid balsa so in the words of Trevor B. time to cut and lighten. I started to sand with 80 grit and worked up to 400 grit. Another thing I like to do is try new products on the market. I picked up a bottle of cover grip from Ontario adhesived to give a try to. I usually use balsa rite, But that is getting harder to try plus the odour is not pleasant. (READ wife doesn't like it!). This cover grip has no odour and cleans up with water. Pours out alittle thick and brushes on not to bad. I used a foam brush but i think i'll change to a soft bristle brush. Once the wing is covered I'll ove on to the fuse wuich as you can see has seen better days as well. The cowl was pretty much crushed. i wish i had a picture of it to post but i don't. I wanted to get another but there isn't one that exists as this plane has been D/C'd a number of years ago. So after many many hours it is back together and primed. Sorry for the long winded start but I promise from here on in the words will be shorter and the pictures will be more.
Dave

flysrcs 04-17-2011 09:30 PM

Re: Cap 232 reconstruction

3 Attachment(s)
The picture is of my son's bike helmut. it was red a few days ago but he decided that he needed a new paint job to it. He wanted me to repaint it with flaming skulls. So after several hours in my workshop and my airbrush, this is the results. The reason for the picture here is that I want to incorperate somthing like this onto the cowl. The cowl to me looks like a vast white canvas that needs to be painted. The colour scheme for this plane will be a mixture of scale and IMAC.

ByronF 04-17-2011 11:40 PM

Way to go Dave! Always nice to see someone re-build a plane.
I will be following along so keep posting pictures of your progress.
ByronF

dean2287 04-18-2011 01:33 PM

Way to go, save projects are great. Love to see an old bird get another chance.

flysrcs 04-18-2011 09:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well alittle more got done tonight. Hinged the ailerons to the wing and final sanded one of them. I made up the aileron servos with extensions, and aileron pushrods. I used Hobby king servo connectore to make sure the servo wire and servo extensions don't part company in the wing. I used to tape them together but trying many new things in this build. The aileron pushrods are 4-40 threaded rod with a carbon fibre sleeve slide overtop, 4-40 nut captures the sleeve. The hardware in the picture is a hobbyking 4-40 pushrod end with a ball bearing pressed into the center with a 3-46 bolt and nut that connect it with the aileron horn. Last picuture is the ladies dress. Red, White and black covering. Again its from hobby king. can't beat the price. I did some sample tests on small pieces and I swear this is monocoat. Right down to the fact that you can use the windex meathod to put it over itself. I'm doing a colour scheme mixed between scale and IMAC.
Almost forgot to mention.. The white thing in the photo is an airplane work station. I made several of these with styro cut on my tablesaw glued together with gorilla glue. I use them for several uses. Very handy and worth there weight in gold.
Dave

flysrcs 04-20-2011 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the last 2 nights were getting the wing final sanded and preped for covering. I changed to a soft bristle brush and though it took more time the cover grip went on better. When it was dried I took a 400 grit sanding block and gave the wing a quick once over to knock down any fuzz and bumps. The cover grip when dried has a funny rubbery feel to it. Tonight I started the covering with the Hobby king mateial. The more I use it the more I swear its from monocoat. even has the funny smell to it when heat was applied. First impresions were great. Used some of the red and white and equally works well. When meduim heat is applied the cover grip grabs it right away and holds it in place. little preasure from the iron and it goes on smooth. Really imporessed with this so far. I I said in the onset, I wanted to try different products on the market and so far they have been home runs.
Hopefully tommarow night I will finish the bottom of the wing. I'm taking my time as this plane is actually for my father. I REALLY want him to be impressed. Have to stop covering for the night as I work nights so off I go. More tomarrow night. This weekend although easter weekend and we host about 15-20 family members I'll be building a test stand to break in the SAITO 220 will be properly boken in on.
Dave

flysrcs 04-25-2011 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well easter is over and all the company has gone home. Gotnthe bottom of the wing finished tonight. The more I use this Hobby King covering the more I like it. Its not just the price although that helps. It goes around corners like a champ and adheres to itself as in overlap well. Also I'm sold on thsi cover grip from Ontario adhesives. It grabs the covering and it stays put at various temp. ranges. In one area I didn't like how the covering went on to with a little heat from my iron and it liften right off and allowing me to re align the covering and reseal it down withopuit looking like crap. now off to work and figure out how I'm going to do the top wing. Oh yah, I tried a neat trick for removing the covering from over the servo bays. I seen this on the Troy Built site and I think Brian M posted the "how to" video on RCC. Heat up a small piece of wire and run it around the perimeter of the opening. Melts yhr coveing out and seals it down all in one step. Worked great and made a nice neat opening.
Dave

FLYINCHASE 12-15-2011 07:18 PM

dave.....wtf.......whats goin on with this bird.....lol

thanks
mike

flysrcs 12-16-2011 10:45 PM

OOPPS.. forgot to continue with this. Thanks Mike for reminidng me. I have uo to date pics I'll post tomarow. I'm coming up to fly indoors with you guys in the new year. You flyin indoors?

Dave

FLYINCHASE 12-20-2011 11:52 AM

Yeah dave r indoors is working out good so far!! Good to keep the hands working! Can't wait see you there

Thanks
Mike