RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   What do we do to become better pilots? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=101676)

mark_ 03-05-2010 05:02 PM

What do we do to become better pilots?

I've been flying for about 2 years now and consider myself competent. I can usually handle my plane in most conditions, land it safely and do some mild aerobatics. Today I flew my Radian glider for about 2 hours. For the last hour, I practiced approaches and low speed turns. I think these really helped me get a feel for the plane.

I would be interested to hear what exercises other guys use to become better pilots. Just flying around in a wide open sky can only improve one's skills so far I've found.

Bdegan 03-05-2010 05:07 PM

Re: What do we do to become better pilots?

Set goals or objective to achieve.

Go up with a plan like, i am going to do stall turns.
Or do approaches and touch and goes.

Set the objective and work on it each flight.

Myself, I am trying to work up to rolling harriers. I can do a rolling circles at altitude and harriers dragging the tail down the runway. Now I want to do rolling harriers. Then eventually bring them down on the deck 8-)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Tyler P 03-05-2010 05:20 PM

I basically do what Bdegan does. Go with a plan.

I started into 3D right away, but then started flying IMAC later. IMAC has made me a better pilot for sure because you need to be able to hold the lines and do things with accuracy. I believe it has also improved my 3D flying because I've started practicing a freestyle routine for competition. Practicing the set sequences of IMAC teach you new maneuvers, and then you can pull those maneuvers anywhere you want!

So, in short, a plan is what is needed. Anyone can go and burn holes in the sky all day long, but doing things with accuracy is important too. Go to the field and plan to practice certain maneuvers and you'll notice as time goes on that you've got more and more maneuvers in your arsenal!

Tyler

hifly2104 03-05-2010 05:26 PM

I have found that if I don't crash that makes me a better Pilot.
Seriously practice is what it takes but me i practice for fun I want to enjoy myself ,I'm not trying to beat anyone but myself.!!

Bdegan 03-05-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hifly2104 (Post 689348)
I'm not trying to beat anyone but myself.!!

Exactly !!!!

Because if I was out to be better than, or beat other people.
I would be pretty disappointed and just stay home ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

inhissteps 03-05-2010 05:36 PM

Become a better pilot..eh? Crash more..lol

-Become very comfortable with your bird.
-Push your skill level
-Think outside the flying box
-Don't just accept that your bird works, push to know WHY it works.
-Learn to setup your plane and TX yourself.
-LISTEN to other experienced pilots constructive criticism.
-If you crash...no..When you crash learn something through the experience.
-Learn as much as you can from others mistakes.
-Respect other pilots if you want respect.
-Don't be a flight line HOG / Enjoy watching others fly.
-Journal your flights.

The list goes on,

mark_ 03-05-2010 05:54 PM

Wise words everyone. I agree that anyone can punch holes in the sky. Having a plan and performing planned manouevers instead of just floating around can improve skills.

choopi1 03-05-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_ (Post 689362)
Wise words everyone. I agree that anyone can punch holes in the sky. Having a plan and performing planned manouevers instead of just floating around can improve skills.

If you to improve good reading there: http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/learn/awesomepilot/

Hughes500E 03-05-2010 10:01 PM

I find chanting left left left left oop right right left left works best for me :cheers:

Dave_ORCC 03-05-2010 10:08 PM

Fly IMAC!!! ;)