RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Jet Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Need ducting for twin F-18 (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=83705)

Dutkoski 01-28-2009 12:55 AM

Need ducting for twin F-18

1 Attachment(s)
I am re-designing a very old version, probably the first version of the Yellow Aircraft twin F-18. The fuselage was given to me as a challenge to convert it into a twin electric ducted fan power. Well, to speed things up, does anyone have a set of the old ducted fan intake ducting that they don't want. I am on a bit of a time schedule and although I can make them from scratch, it would help me out not doing so.
I'm very confident that this project will work as the EDF units are developing more power than the original OS 91's in a Ramtec, plus they are a lot lighter. I took one of the fan units to the club meeting and fired it up with the watt meter attached, my buddy was very surprised and wasn't kidding me anymore about this conversion. He is a "died in the wool" turbine guy and he's always tiring to get me hooked.
The wings, stab and vertical fins are being designed as the old Byron concept of simply foam with fiberglass cloth right on top, no balsa skins. Doing everything possible to lighten up the airframe as the person who had the fuselage originally had lined a considerable amount of heavy carbon throughout the inside. Spent the better part of an afternoon grinding it out, just a bit left to do. Because it is electric, there isn't much vibration and as such some of the heavy internal structure can be sized down. Tonight I finished cutting the flying surfaces, it's great having that CNC foam cutter.
Anyway, if there is anyone out there that can help me, you can e-mail me at john@modelsbyjohn.com
Thanks

ace010101 01-28-2009 06:45 AM

Re: Need ducting for twin F-18

Hi John, Could you not just put a straight wall in the center of the fuselage to divide the two units? Looks like you should just need exhaust tubes made out of lexan plastic like the byron models did. It will get all the air it needs with the front opening that I can see from your picture. I have an old Byron F16 and there is not any inlet ducting on it. I had converted it to Electric and it flew alot better then with a 91 in it. This would also help in weight.

storrie23 01-28-2009 11:19 AM

Hi John, I have a set of molds for a 1/10 th. scale F-18a, fus, vertical & horizontal tail molds + intake ducting. I am building the proto type
as a jet turbine model. Not having any plans I purchased a new yellow F-18 single with plans. My molds are not a knock off of the Yellow. the Yellow kit is a single ducted fan configuration, with intake, bypass & tail pipe, very light, in size my model is 1 or 2 % smaller.
Please call me, lets talk, I might have some parts that you my be interested in.
I am interested in your wing cores. I live in St. Catharines Ontario.
Chuck Storrie
Jet Central Canada
716 240-3284

Dutkoski 01-28-2009 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted the intakes as they will make the fan operate more efficiently and also isolate the airflow from the other interior components. Just imagine if something got loose and was sucked into the fans, particularly a battery. These fans produce over 12 lbs of static thrust and would injest a cat if it walked past.

I'll give you a call tonight at around 9:00 to 9:30.

I too have a F-18 being prototyped, it's slightly bigger than the 1/10th Yellow Aircraft's single, been picking away at it for several years. It'll be a single 120 mm EDF model even though I have two 90 mm fans displayed with it, but then it just might be a twin, nothing has been decided yet.

RC_MAN 01-28-2009 05:46 PM

John

Glad to see you are still alive (grin) Are you coming to Leamington this year? If so bring the F18 with you for show & tell. Oh yarbring that boat anchor Ted with you.

Peter

Dutkoski 01-29-2009 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Pete,

Oh yeah, can't go anywhere without the boat anchor, that's what good friends are for, also, he's one heck of a good cook.....

I was hoping to have the F-18 in flying condition by that time, but if not, and it's close to completion I will bring it for sure. I have no intention of putting much detail on it as it's simply a BIG sport plane to prove the EDF capabilities. That being said, I have a paint scheme in mind for it though, yellow with black flames. The late Gary Strong's son did the graphic's, quite far out. He has a website, www.smokingrafix.com as he does this for a business and there is an image of it on the site so it's for public viewing, but here is one of the views.

I have the dates marked on the calendar and since I am retired and there are no family things to get in the way, I should be there. Hopefully the blasted weather will co-operate this year.

Wayne22 01-31-2009 07:34 PM

That is a stunning scheme!! Tons better than those tiger stripes that are getting so common.....

Be sure to check out the jet column in the upcoming Feb edition of the maac mag....you should find some interest in it...................:taped::taped:

Guest 01-31-2009 09:03 PM

Now that is one Cool looking paint sceam! Wayne's right, it is nice to see somthing other than the tiger sceam.

Trevor

eagle-sunny 02-01-2009 06:24 AM

Hi I have ducting for f-18 byron I have the 2 part firberglass and lexan if you want more information I can send a picture

Dutkoski 02-02-2009 11:10 AM

I believe the Byron ducting is too undersize, but thank you for the offer. My buddy who gave me the fuselage advised me that he actually does have a set of ducting for the plane, but I'll have to copy it as he will be using it for a twin version. Better than starting from scratch.....