RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   JTec Radiowave MX2 2.8m Build log (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=405922)

Trumpetman 02-06-2016 11:52 PM

JTec Radiowave MX2 110" Build log

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up my new IMAC backup plane! An MX2 builder's kit by JTec Radiowave. I'll be building this at the same time as my good friend, Alan H. (Scrappy) builds his identical plane over on the RCCanucks site. We drove down to the border this morning and picked up four boxes of foam, fiberglass and laser cut goodness!

I'm posting from my phone tonight so the pictures will be one at a time.

Trumpetman 02-06-2016 11:55 PM

Re: JTec Radiowave MX2 2.8m Build log

2 Attachment(s)
The quality of the balsa that Kevin supplies is very good. The 3/32" sheeting balsa is 6" wide and will make gluing up the skins a lot quicker!

Trumpetman 02-06-2016 11:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Who says you can't get a 2.8 metre wingspan plane home in a Scion IQ:biggrin:

Trumpetman 02-07-2016 12:15 AM

The kit comes with a pretty comprehensive set of building instructions and nice clear color photos of the steps on a CD. Other than some dimensional drawings of the wing, stab and rudder, no plans are included and from what I have seen, no plans are needed as the whole plane jigs itself together! I've got a couple of things to finish up but I'll be starting on this right away as I need a backup airframe for this season.

Carbon fibre wing and stab tubes are included as will as a split cowl. This is a nice feature on a plane this size. The laser cutting is very crisp with only the thickest parts having some char. The wheel pants and cowl have a white gel coat finish and they will be very quick and easy to finish. The canopy is crystal clear and of a moderate thickness (it should last many seasons!).

An EME120 on RE2 tuned pipes should provide enough motivation and it will have a bunch of JR radio bits and pieces :biggrin: Al and I will have different colour schemes but both will be based on full scale MX2's. I'm working on getting some more documentation and then I'll post some pictures of the scheme I'm doing.

This is one of JTec's competition series airplanes and I'm really looking forward to getting it in the air this spring!

wingburner 02-07-2016 11:51 AM

Very nice Gordon... have always wanted to build a J-TEC kit. Nice to hear they provide a top shelf kit.

Be interesting to see if the finished product fits in the Scion IQ:itsok_170:

Will be following along.:)

Trumpetman 02-07-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingburner (Post 2751434)
Very nice Gordon... have always wanted to build a J-TEC kit. Nice to hear they provide a top shelf kit.

Be interesting to see if the finished product fits in the Scion IQ:itsok_170:

Will be following along.:)

Hi Jack, the wings and the stabs would still fit :). The rest would have to be strapped down to the roof... Really happy with what I've seen to this point. The slot and tab construction ought to result in a straight airframe.

Scrappy 02-08-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpetman (Post 2750890)
Who says you can't get a 2.8 metre wingspan plane home in a Scion IQ:biggrin:

Awesome picture!! Kind a plane/circus clown combo??!!
:icon_peace:

Trumpetman 02-08-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrappy (Post 2752898)
Awesome picture!! Kind a plane/circus clown combo??!!
:icon_peace:

Who are you calling a clown? :biggrin:

Kevin Y 02-08-2016 01:37 PM

Well you have me beat. I had the 3.1m kit in my mustang but I think I had a little more room then you did.

Glad to hear you are liking the kit so far, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to call or shoot us an email.

Kevin Young
JTEC Radiowave

Trumpetman 02-08-2016 01:43 PM

Hi Kevin, thanks for checking in! I'm studying the manual as we speak and between the manual and the reference pictures I don't expect any issues.