RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Fixed Wing (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Flying Shop Rag (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=118007)

Wayne MIller 02-10-2011 08:40 AM

Flying Shop Rag

Hi,

I've never seen a smaller engine do this. I just got this from Chuck B. and thought others might enjoy it as well. It gives new meaning to "park flyers" or "free flight".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph2PMs2-7G4

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Midair 02-10-2011 09:24 AM

Re: Flying Shop Rag

Cool. Does that ever bring back memories. My introduction to model aircraft included a Cox .049; the sound, the smell, I'll never forget them.

Peter

pianodude 02-10-2011 10:55 AM

that is so cool! thanks for posting...... john

Cougar429 02-10-2011 12:37 PM

I still remember my first 049 powered Corsair. My dad bought it for me for my 12th Christmas and he was as anxious as I was to fire it up. Only problem was the temp and snow outside kind of made that idea not so much fun.

He solved that one by putting the plane on the footstool in front of the LazyBoy chair. To keep it clean he had it sitting on a section of the newspaper.

Once fired up and tuned that baby screamed......right up until it ate the paper, shredding it and mixing the fibers with the castor oil and spreading everything in a cloud that reached into the kitchen, (where mom was finishing the traditional dinner). Have to say she was not too pleased!

Ah, the memories:lol:

Midair 02-10-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cougar429 (Post 798521)
I still remember my first 049 powered Corsair. My dad bought it for me for my 12th Christmas and he was as anxious as I was to fire it up. Only problem was the temp and snow outside kind of made that idea not so much fun.

He solved that one by putting the plane on the footstool in front of the LazyBoy chair. To keep it clean he had it sitting on a section of the newspaper.

Once fired up and tuned that baby screamed......right up until it ate the paper, shredding it and mixing the fibers with the castor oil and spreading everything in a cloud that reached into the kitchen, (where mom was finishing the traditional dinner). Have to say she was not too pleased!

Ah, the memories:lol:

NO WAAAY! My first flying model aircraft was a Cox .049 powered P-51 u-control; got it for Christmas, I was eleven years old, too cold outside so my dad and I fired it up in the kitchen. we didn't chew up any paper, but the noise scared the hell out of me and the whole house was filled with exhaust smoke! Talk about similar experiences :yes:.

Peter

steven r 02-10-2011 03:54 PM

I got my first stitches from an 049. :( I think I was 10 or 11.

Shawnlh 02-10-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steven r (Post 798560)
I got my first stitches from an 049. :( I think I was 10 or 11.

Now that's funny. I left a very small chunk of my finger bone on an .049 prop when I was about 10 or 11. I needed to adjust the needle and decided to use my thumb and middle finger leaving my index finger where it shouldn't have been.

Cougar429 02-10-2011 10:12 PM

Midair, small world. I went to Canadore for AMT and Heli Flight back in the early 90's.

Flypaper 02-11-2011 01:51 PM

I remember doing that a 100 yrs ago with a sock tied on the back of it.:mrgreen:

pianodude 02-11-2011 03:18 PM

isn't it neat that we all had very similar experinces as kids. my first plane was also the Cox P51 with the .049 that i got for christmas in 1973 (i was 12) and here we all are almost 40 years later still at it. cheers, all. john