RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Car & Truck discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Nitro shortage? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=173238)

imported_BananaMan 06-14-2008 08:15 AM

Nitro shortage?

I was at my LHS last night and they told me that there will be a serious shortage of Nitro this summer (worse than your typical summer shortage) Apparently alot of suppliers in the US (Tower,Horizon, Great Planes) are completely out of stock and they dont even have an ETA when they will be getting more in. This has something to do with 75 out of 80 nitro manufacturers going out of business recently. :DOWN:

Stock up now if you havent already!

Narly1 06-14-2008 08:27 AM

Somewhat related, discussion of possible shortage for 1:1 scale racing:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/----...5-nitro-1.html

Narly1

imported_BananaMan 06-14-2008 08:32 AM

I definitley think they are related. My LHS said this exact same comment, which was from this same article.

"The fact is that the Chinese government is in the process of restricting ports such as Singapore from shipping out Hazmat materials and is shutting down some factories that make nitromethane in order to meet the environmental requirements for that country to hold the upcoming Summer Olympics."

Guess who is hosting the next Summer Olympics???? you guessed it!

Gump 06-14-2008 08:39 AM

I've heard mention of this elsewhere as well. Its hard to gauge how it will really effect the hobby in our region, as the supposed problem is much much biggert than us.
Personally, I'll be grabbing just a couple of gallons and replenishing the last one used. No need to hoard.
Yet :P

imported_BananaMan 06-14-2008 08:47 AM

Agree...locally around here you are only going to find 20/16%, 30/11% mix. I bought one of each and am going to mix them 50/50 to make 25/13.5% :)

jatofan69 06-14-2008 05:59 PM

I heard that a major supplier of raw nitro fuel went out of business in China.

My LHS is having trouble stocking some brands already.

RobS 06-14-2008 06:30 PM

I've heard a bunch of stories from some people saying 30% Nitro is going to be very hard to come by to everything is going to be fine. I think the majority of the problem will be faced by the NHRA drag racers because the consume about 6 gallons (of something like 90% Nitro) in one quarter mile run. Because China has the Olympics they have stopped producing Nitro (among other things) in order to help clear up their air so the athletes can compete at this years Olympics. The earthquake a month of 2 ago also didn't help the cause... I don't think there will be a shortage of 30%, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few companies just made 20% for a while to conserve their supply "just in case".

thrash metal 06-14-2008 07:23 PM

re nitro shortage

i wouldnt doubt if you see the prices of nitro go up substantially and it will create panic buying .

look at how there seems to be an "oil shortage" driving up the price of gas. lots of people are getting very rich because of this oil "shortage"

opec could be producing double the amount of oil if it wanted to right now but they are reaping in such huge profits by keeping production lower to drive up the price.

PickeringHobbies 06-14-2008 09:21 PM

Just thought I would let you know that one supplier told us that they would not be carrying the 30% only the 20% because of the cost. They told us that the next shipment we receive- which would be Monday will cost us 20% more than the order we got only 2 weeks ago.

I will know exactly the price increase Monday and update you all when I know.

Thanks
Pickering Hobbies