RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   ARF / ARC Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Phoenix Super Decathlon build (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=97903)

dean2287 12-17-2009 11:14 AM

Phoenix Super Decathlon build

I'm putting together a Super Decathlon by Phoenix as a snow plane, so I'll post some progress notes here for those who are interested. I'm taking pics as I go of the kit and the build. Initial impression is that it's a well built plane, fairly solid, with a number of time saving details like pre-hinged control surfaces (with real hinges, not paper), pre-installed windshield and side windows which are clean and clear, and a pre-installed engine mount. Downside so far was the covering - very, very wrinkled. Took me the entire first evening to iron it out, but it's nice and tight now and looks good. Also, the nice white trim scheme on the wings and tail surfaces is a stick-on material that will stick to the iron if you're not carefull, making for some tricky work.

More to come...

zuiderdam 12-17-2009 11:23 AM

Re: Phoenix Super Decathlon build

I love the looks of a Decathlon. Enjoy and post away.

dean2287 12-18-2009 07:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a few first looks. Decent kit out of the box, straight and true, although the balsa quality seems not the best. Well packed, but a bit dusty from sitting around the LHS a long time. I'm putting an OS .46AX under the cowl with HS425BB servos all around and JayDee skis. For the extra $2, I bought the trike set just in case I need the front ski on a future project.

dean2287 12-18-2009 07:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
As you can see, the oracover was very wrinkled out of the box, but the iron smartened it up. The tailwheel went on reasonably well, no suprises. The pre-installed engine mount put an OS .46AX in just the right position under the cowl, but is very slightly narrow for the engine. There was quite a bit of dust there!

chuebner 12-18-2009 07:40 PM

I had the exact same plane 2 years ago. I was powering mine with an OS .60FP and it had enough power but no extra.
I had to fly it at 3/4 throttle.
Just a quick question about the skis, are you going to build this bird as a trike, as I see the skis are made for a trike??:confused: I have the exact same brand of skis but for a taildragger.

Curt

dean2287 12-18-2009 07:42 PM

It will be a tail dragger...I bought the trike gear because it was only $2 more.

chuebner 12-18-2009 07:50 PM

You will have one massive tail ski that is for sure, it should stay on top the snow now. They are a very well made ski and work flawlessly.

The Decathlon is a very nice plane to fly and to look at. I sold mine a year ago and went to a Tango. Although the Tango flies great and is much more aerobatic than the Decathlon, If I could roll back time, I would have kept the Decathlon. Just like the Decathlons' looks and flying characteristics better.

Curt

dean2287 12-18-2009 08:05 PM

Appearantly you can buy a tail wheel ski, CJ Models makes one. I'm just leaving mine on the wheel. I have a trainer with trike gear that I could use the set on, so it's worth having.

chuebner 12-18-2009 08:13 PM

Oops, my mistake, I have the CJ skis not the Jay Dees. This is the tail ski I have.

http://www.greathobbies.com/search/r...MM&srchcat=AXS

juice 12-19-2009 01:12 PM

nice Phoenix Super Decathlon dean2287 going fly my right now i will post pics