RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Flight Simulators (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Help (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=86468)

Boutlou 03-31-2009 07:39 PM

Help

OK so here I am. First post. Looking for advice. I built and flew my first and last RC plane when I was 15, over 50 years ago. I’m looking to get back in. I just bought a Spektrum DX6i. I’m humble and ready to learn, but there ain’t no way I’m going out there as a rookie to learn to fly, without some idea how things work now. In my day you had two buttons, one for left and one for right. So, I would like to get some feel for how things work. I found out there were simulators. The Hangar 9 FS1 looks like it’s in my price range. I’ve E-Mailed them but I don’t have a reply yet, and I’m impatient. So here are my questions:

1. I’m under the impression (none of their stuff is too precise) that I can somehow hook my transmitter into a USB cable and be able to run things from my transmitter. Am I correct?
2. If so, where do I connect all that stuff to my transmitter?
3. Someone sells a sort of receiver (about 50$ US) that emulates the Spektrum DX6i receiver and connects to the computer via a USB cable. Is this worthwhile?

I’m to hear from anyone on this and… any recommendations / advice how to proceed AND anyone out there who has an outfit like that that would like to part with it at a reasonable price.

Thanks

retiree_caf 03-31-2009 08:04 PM

Re: Help

Have a look at RealFlight 4.5
http://www.realflight.com/products/gpmz4430-index.html

It comes with a Futaba style controller and also allows you to connect your DX6i in the back of their controller so you can fly using your own DX6i !!

michel gravelle 03-31-2009 08:06 PM

Hi
Welcome to Rc Canada ......................... If I may 1 ) get youre MAAC 2 ) join a club ( and you have some good ones in youre area ) 3 ) HAVE FUN .

You club will help you all you want . Here on RCC you will find an abundent of help

You came to the right place ................ HERE

Michel

DO335 04-01-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boutlou (Post 597677)
OK so here I am... I’m impatient.

Impatience will cost you. Big time.

Ken Currell 04-01-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DO335 (Post 597936)
Impatience will cost you. Big time.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I agree 100% with this statement.
Patience is necessary and you will appreciate it later.

Boutlou 04-01-2009 05:55 PM

Don’t get me wrong. I have a good woodworking shop, I built my own oak and maple workbench, right down to the vice. I bowhunt, I flyfish, I make my own flies and arrows. I know patience. However, when it comes to seeking information, in the world I work in, answers are almost instantaneous. Sometimes when I have a decision to make, I can’t afford to wait a half a day. Doing things that take time and require patience is my way of changing worlds. My workbench took me a year and a half to build and it's a beaut.

Now to get back to my question, if I buy the Hangar 9 simulator that doesn’t come with what looks like a transmitter, will it work with my DX6i, if so how do I connect my transmitter to the usb port, if not, what do I need to be able to do so? The kit that comes with what looks like a transmitter costs more ($125 vs $99) so I don’t want to spend more if I don’t have to.

Thanks loads

mdscientist61 04-02-2009 02:06 PM

Hello boutlou,

Your profile says you are located in Ottawa.

At Discount Hobbies, in Orleans, they have set up a simulator that the customers can play with.

Richard has been selling simulators for a while, so he might be able to answer your questions if you visit the store and ask him. Probably he should be able to give you some good information about what his other customers have connected up to their simulators.

You can also try out the simulator and see what you think.

Also, there are several clubs around Ottawa full of helpful people who enjoy working on these types of challenges :D

Let us know how it goes!

Boutlou 04-02-2009 02:30 PM

Thanks. Will do.

rbwater 04-02-2009 11:35 PM

Hi Boutlou,

I have the FSOne simulator & use it with my DX5 transmitter. When I bought the program, it included a cable with a USB plug on one end that goes into the computer & an audio type jack on the other end that goes into the transmitter. In the program, you have to select a JR emulator to make it work (there is no Spektrum on the menu). Mine works without any problem.

There is another thread about FSOne running at present & some people like it & some don't. As others said, most hobby stores have demos set up so you can see whether you like one or the other.

RB

Cadet Keyes 04-03-2009 08:15 PM

I have the FSOne simulator to and i got it at the same place ant it works great!