RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Fixed Wing (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   A quieter canopy (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=123083)

Nick Milligan 05-23-2011 02:24 AM

A quieter canopy

5 Attachment(s)
So, I am a bit of a young old fart (33) and appreciate things a little quieter,

While an airplane is flying, there are some really neat whistles and other sounds that you may be able to hear if the motor is quiet enough. That being said, I have been working to make my MX2 as quiet as I can.
The prop, spinner and back plate are as balanced as I can get them. I have installed a canister exhaust with rubber mounts. Everything is tied down to keep from rattling around.
For the first while, the plane was very quiet and all was good. then my canopy started to wear on the tabs to the firewall making a bunch of racket.:mad:There is a couple 1/8" plywood tabs that fit into a couple slots in the firewall. After I noticed the tabs eroding I caped them with a piece of carbon flat stock and placed some foam between the fuse and canopy. All is good again:D
After about 30 flights the carbon was eroding as well as the firewall:mad:. So I decided to try another technique.
I cut in some slots for Duo-Bro 1/4 scale hinges and hinged my canopy. Super slick, I know. I added another hold down tab near the cowl and may add another midway depending how she sounds for the next while.
In each of the hold down tabs,I inserted an aluminum tube so I do not have to worry about the screws wearing an oval through the fuse side. Will not crush the balsa if the screw is tightened either.

Hopefully tomorrow I will hear the wind rushing over my wings,
Nick

michel gravelle 05-23-2011 05:00 AM

Re: A quieter canopy

Hi

Intteresting project Nick , good stuff ,................ carry on ;)

Michel

R.Sonnel 05-23-2011 03:55 PM

Hi Nick,

Good job. I have the same problem with my Yak. I will try to do same. I hope you don't have a patten on this.....:)

P.S Those Aluminium Stand-offs you made for me are way better than the original ones that came with the engine. Thanks again.

Nick Milligan 05-23-2011 04:39 PM

Great success, I went out today for 3 flights and did not hear a peep from the canopy! The wings whistled an I could hear the birds chirping in the distance.

Everything seems to be nice and tight. I think this is happening to all of my birds from now on:D
An interesting bonus, I didn't have to lean over to put the far side canopy hold-down screw in. Was a big hit with most of the guys at the field too.

Hi Bob,
Great to hear the stand-offs are working well for you.
And no, I do not have a patent on hinged lids. It's kind of common in the full scale scene;)

Max 05-23-2011 06:14 PM

Nice Fix, Nick! it looks great.

Have you got a cure for the noises coming from Hearts Thumping and Knees knocking??

Nick Milligan 05-23-2011 06:30 PM

Ummmmm, Nope.

Guest 05-23-2011 07:05 PM

Maybe you ought to convert it to electric while your at it! :D

pipercub17 05-23-2011 07:16 PM

i hate mechanical noise !
i have the slipstream mxs and it has the same problem
but engine noise i like that !

Nick Milligan 05-23-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What Tree (Post 831719)
Maybe you ought to convert it to electric while your at it! :D

Electric would be interesting but I am afraid of the expensive smoke inside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipercub17 (Post 831725)
i hate mechanical noise !
i have the slipstream mxs and it has the same problem
but engine noise i like that !

Yeah, unnecessary noise is a bugger.
How do you like the MXS? my neighbor has on but he wont let me put it together...Yet.

pipercub17 05-23-2011 09:03 PM

lol it flys like a big kite