RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Winter Skiis!!! (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=205006)

TBrum 10-28-2013 08:47 PM

Winter Skiis!!!

8 Attachment(s)
Last year a bunch of us around here did more flying in the winter than we did this summer :):).

After a number of iterations we came up with 2 successful 35% skiis. We made up a slightly smaller 50cc ski (not shown) and I tried a set of homemade CF skiis for my 50cc, however they were a bit too small for proper floatation.

Andy made the skins and uprights, Brad machined the hub and I assembled them with the piano wire and rivets and Dubro axles.
This year, I want to make these skiis lighter and stiffer:):):rock::rock:

TBrum 10-28-2013 08:52 PM

Re: Winter Skiis!!!

6 Attachment(s)
The 35% skis worked awesome and had great floation but in the soft stuff or when spanning foot holes they tended to fold a bit. Andy put a lip on the latest generation of skin and they worked great!!!

But the skis were heavy and messed with the CG quite a bit.

I plan to go with the same dimensions but would like to knock off 6oz if possible!!

TBrum 10-28-2013 08:56 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Andy and Brad were running a.slightly smaller version of the 35% skiis (not shown) on their 50cc. I went really small and did a CF skin (shown), but mine were too small and would not work on the powder.

So I plan to use Andy/Brad's dimensions but again would like to lighten them up :)

pschulte 10-28-2013 08:58 PM

Looks like you did a pretty good job on those skis. It was -6 in PG this morning so ski season is almost here. Still went to the field but forgot fuel. I am hoping to build some large scale skis this fall. We get some pretty deep powder so sometimes floats are the answer. Skis would be nice for flying off the lake.

Midair 10-28-2013 09:01 PM

Nice work Trevor. Up here in North Bay, up on the hill, we've had snow on the ground since Saturday. It should melt by end week, but it does forewarn that winter is on its way. I should probably consider skis, but I'm too much of a ----- to fly in cold weather ;)

Peter

TBrum 10-28-2013 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My standard has always been West System Epoxy. However Canada Composites is now a distributor of a US Company that has reverse engineered West System and has added some cool properties like better toughness, better tensile strength and better heat resistance.

In addition, it's better priced and uses the same West System pumps... I'll give it a try :):)

Midair 10-28-2013 09:02 PM

...Ok, RCC doesn't want me use that other word meaning "kitty cat" and blocked it from my post :D

TBrum 10-28-2013 09:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'll be making up a male plug out of a big chunk of balsa and will do the full layup with a sweet vacuum pump I borrowed from Peter Woo that'll pull 27" Hg :rock::rock:. Best thing with the pump is it's a.converted fridge compressor, so dead silent :yes:

TBrum 10-28-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midair (Post 1391067)
...Ok, RCC doesn't want me use that other word meaning "kitty cat" and blocked it from my post :D

LOL!! If you're from North Bay you can't be a kitty cat, LOL:):)

TBrum 10-28-2013 09:12 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I got this chunk of balsa from Aircraft Spruce in Brantford when I was in at the Airport last time getting Jet fuel... $14 was a great price!!

Attached are a few shots of the shaped male plugs and 4 plugs for uprights!!