RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Heli Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Did you fly today? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=101531)

4wdmt 03-02-2010 12:16 PM

Did you fly today?

Let us have some discussion guy. Hopefully, this thread will run continuously.

Some questions:

What was the weather condition?

Where did you fly?

How many tanks / battery packs?

What kind of flying did you do?

How did it go?

How did you feel?

Extra bits you wanted to share...

Guest 03-02-2010 12:20 PM

Re: Did you fly today?

hello +2c sunny and clear 2 km wind from south,I flew on an ice road on Lake of the Woods. I was breaking in my new Radikal and just starting to figure 8's to get used to it.I only flew one tank as the sun was setting after work last night,the one tank lasted 24 minutes.Everything went well and am planning on going out again after work tonight.It was awesome I love this new bird.

4wdmt 03-02-2010 12:22 PM

My turn:

1 - It was sunny today with a temp of +1/2degC and wind gust of around 5mph.
2 -Our apartment complex basketball/tennis court was vacant and no one is using.
3 - 4 battery packs it.2TP 2200mah and 2FP 2100mah)
4 - Basic flying. No 3D stuff. Just practiced my forward flights, circuits stationary nose-ins and litlle pirouttes.
5 - Went well, nothing to report.
6 -Felt good finishing my 4 packs without crashing my baby :D.
7 -I flew my T-Rex 450 Pro without anyone watching. I like it this way. Not only do I concentrate more, but I get nervous when someone is watching or trying to talk.

Please continue. Thanks.

tskca 03-02-2010 01:06 PM

-Flew 3 flights yesterday;
-Overcast, mild with acceptable visibility;
-Total of 33 flights this year;
-Heading off to Maui on Friday :=)

lilphil26 03-03-2010 07:59 AM

Yeah 4 flights for me. Was 5 degrees with no wind and sunny here in whitby. I was flying my cularis glider with onboard camera flying by video(fpv). Was a nice change to see a good day for flying, as we havent had too many lately. Hoping to fly everyday this week actually, so we shall see how the weather holds.

Jeff_D 03-03-2010 08:26 AM

I put some LEDs on my KMP F18 and went out last night around 8:30. Temp was around 1C but the wind had died down. This was my first attemp at night flying. Got it back down safe and sound on the runway but I learned that maybe a jet isn't the best choice for night flying.

MarkToo 03-03-2010 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to link a couple free hours together today, so I made a dash for the field.

Sunny, about +3C.

I was surprised by the amount of snow on the field after the sun and warm temperatures over the last few days. I was able to find a small bare patch to fly off though.

I had time for 3 flights and started with some basic hovering and some back and forth. The second and third flights I got into some loops and rolls and other basic aerobatics. By the end of the third flight, I was starting to get my fingers working and was having such a great time that I ran the tank dry - talk about being out of practice... My flight timer had gone off 4 minutes before and I totally ignored it. Was able to set it down on the clear patch anyhow.

Wow, I miss this. Can't wait for the weekend. It's supposed to be even nicer!!!

Here's a cell phone pic. I wanted to take one in the air, but it was pretty windy/gusty, and I didn't want to risk one handed with all the snow.

pilotdog007 03-03-2010 05:33 PM

No but here's to hoping . I keep my raptor charged up and I am trying to finnish my T-rex 600 I think that I only need to set my electronics and pitches to get her airborn but I need old man winter to go away:rolleyes:

4wdmt 03-03-2010 08:45 PM

Well. It was sunny again and around +2. Charged up my 4 packs and ready my 450. The moment I went outside...I was greeted by very gusty winds intermittently).

Did you ever experience hearing a small voice - telling you...don't fly today. Something will go wrong.

Did I listen to that small voice....noooooo ;).

Still unpacked my heli and started pre-flight check and away flying I go. The moment I was hovering, I can honestly say the strong winds is way too much for my flying ability. I practically stayed hovering and fighting the wind whichever the heli is pointing. 1st pack is done, STILL ignoring that little voice. Went for my 2nd pack and true enough just above the 1 minute mark, a very strong gust of wind blew my heli and I panicked and landed hastily. Touched tail first and tilted on the side. Some compact snow saved my blades but not the torque tube gears. Also slighltly bended my main and f-shaft Nah, no worries I have some spare parts. Now, I don't mind changing the boken parts, but man! those Align hex button head screws are made out of butter! I stripped 2 of them and 3 are no longer that "tight" in the head. I have to use dremel to cut some slit and use screwdriver instead. Whew, I was able to take out those stripped heads.

After repairing everything, went out again (I know, i am hardheaded) and finished my remaining 2 packs. This time, just low level hovering to eat up some of the liPo juice.

Anyways, tomorrow is another day. I have work this weekend and I won't be able to enjoy the nice weather forecast for it. Bummer.

Rock 114 03-03-2010 10:29 PM

Yep I did too +3 and zero wind on the lake in front of my house.I put 35 minutes on my bergen standard intrepid (first flights after dorking it late last fall). All went great,nice and smooth after rebuild. Even got 10 minutes of mild 3D.Also ran two packs through my 450 with a minor glitch in the rear cyclic servo.