RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Electric Flight (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Time to get electrified... (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=41390)

David_Moen 07-05-2004 08:08 PM

Time to get electrified...

Electrics have been interesting to me for a while now....seems like the price/performance ratio is getting reasonable.

I want a electric airplane that I can fly in the neighbourhood soccer field, I want to learn to fly 3D so it better be capable of the moves, and durable enough to stand up to practice "bonks". I'd like to be able to keep it in one piece so it's capable of flying on a whim.

I don't want to research motor, battery ESC combos to death, just want a set-up that works well.

I was thinking a shock-flyer with an entry-level brushless setup wouil be a good place to start, what advice to you seasoned electri-fliers have for me?
Anyone have a RTF plane they want to sell?

Chris Cann 07-05-2004 08:24 PM

shocky with t6/3d motor esc combo from oilmanelectricrc.com and then a gws naro flight pack and another naro servo with a apongee 850mah 2slipo from backyardflying.com is a good set-up!

matteo 07-05-2004 09:01 PM

I agree with chris about the set up and if you dont have a charger get a hobbico quick feild charger MK 2. It will do 1-8 cell NIMH/NICD and 1-3 lipo/lion and rx and tx packs for areound $70 or less.

Matteo

robonline 07-06-2004 06:54 AM

The Hobbico charger is good value for the money,but. My personal advice is to buy the best charger you can afford. Even if you now only plan to use 2 or 3 cell lipoly get a charger that will do more. I recommend the Schulze isl6 330d form ICARE. It will charge any battery type on the market and as new ones come to market you can update the firmware. I find my batteries last longer with this charger too because it is more advanced in it's charging and cut-off technology. It's the only charger you will need and (sadly it happens) if you get out of electric the Schulze has a great resale value. On sale now at ICARE.
http://www.icare-rc.com/charger-batteries.htm
Rob.

matteo 07-06-2004 11:12 AM

I have the Great plane trition and its proboly the best charger that i have seen and a vetrin e-flyer said that for the money its the best charger on the market and I would agree with him.

Matteo

David_Moen 07-12-2004 10:02 AM

Have the Shock Fliers been updated recently? The ones shown on the ad in the latest FLy RC magazine look different than Iseen before. Different motor mount, wing struts, what looks like a leading edge spar...

matteo 07-12-2004 12:17 PM

Maby there where changes done to it because there where problums with them being a bit on the flimsy side.

salty morgan 07-12-2004 12:30 PM

Re: Time to get electrified...

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_Moen
Electrics have been interesting to me for a while now....seems like the price/performance ratio is getting reasonable.

I want a electric airplane that I can fly in the neighbourhood soccer field, I want to learn to fly 3D so it better be capable of the moves, and durable enough to stand up to practice "bonks". I'd like to be able to keep it in one piece so it's capable of flying on a whim.

I don't want to research motor, battery ESC combos to death, just want a set-up that works well.

I was thinking a shock-flyer with an entry-level brushless setup wouil be a good place to start, what advice to you seasoned electri-fliers have for me?
Anyone have a RTF plane they want to sell?

i was thinking of posting the same thing for quite a while. my differences are;

that while 3d is the new fad and quite cool in it self, it doesn't have to be the most 3d capible plane

i was hoping it could be good looking but still inexpensive. ie, not profile

does anyone have any suggestions for me?

David_Moen 07-13-2004 11:46 AM

It seems to me that if I go with the stock 3D power setup and a 3-cell lipo battery, I should have a decent set-up at a very good price. How long to the stock brushed motors last?

Chris Cann 07-13-2004 02:56 PM

no from what i know and hear from friends who have had shock flyers since day one they are exactly the same!