RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Electronics (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Rx fails range test (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=108700)

Thunder Chicken 08-02-2010 12:54 PM

Rx fails range test

So I am doing a range check and the distance is about 20 feet. This plane/set-up has had no previous problems in the past. I checked the antenna and it has no breaks in it. I tried the crystal in another rx and everything works fine.
Any idea why the rx would fail a range check all of a sudden? It was a Hitec supreme2 auto shift. This unit has not been crashed and is practically new!
Funny thing is, about a week before an older JR rx did the same thing. However I had never used that jr rx before and did not know its history.
I was thinking it could be the transmitter (JR 8103) but with 7 other models in memory, all the others range test fine.
I guess this just proves a range check everyday could save you a model. (something I do not always do but will be sure to from now on!!)

VA6WGO 08-02-2010 02:22 PM

Re: Rx fails range test

Are you using a gas engine but any chance?
If so, check your ground connection to the spark plug.

Cheers,

Will

Daren71 08-02-2010 02:48 PM

I just lost a plane. It went full throttle, aileron, rudder, and elevator all at the same time. It range checked before and after. No one else was flying, and most were sitting down at the time, so I don't suspect a shoot-down.

I have no idea what caused it, so my radio, and the airplane receiver are getting new batteries.

The electrics in the plane were new to that plane, and never involved in anything before, the radio is treated like gold, its never been dropped, and it has a foam lined brief case that it travels in. So I'm at a total loss.

Double check all your connections to the radio, and make sure your batteries all check out, and replace if they are getting somewhat old.

Good luck, Daren

Oilsands 08-02-2010 03:28 PM

Just a good reason to do a range check before the first flight of the day. I run 2.4 but still do the range check before the first flight. Hope you find the problem.

mdscientist61 08-02-2010 07:43 PM

Here are a few things to check:
1) Disconnect all the servos except one and repeat the range check with only one servo. Sometimes a servo goes bad and makes everything electrically noisy. If the range check passes with only one servo, then try the others one by one.
2) Plug the battery directly into the receiver to bypass the switch harness. Sometimes you get a bad connector on the switch harness.
3) If you are using a regulator or a BEC, disconnect it and try the range check with a battery instead. Sometimes a BEC will go bad and get electrically noisy.
4) If all the above do not change anything, see if you can check for a broken antenna wire right inside the receiver, or maybe where the antenna wire comes out of the receiver unit itself. I remember one guy at our club had range problems and eventually he found the antenna wire was broken right inside the receiver casing. It was a 72 MHz receiver.

Thunder Chicken 08-02-2010 08:58 PM

thanks for all the tips so far. Im sure others will learn a thing or two as well.
I actually tried everything 'mdscientist61' suggested before I posted. The only thing I could change is the battery pack, but with the new rx, the battery that was being used at the time is working fine. I even got out the multi meter and checked the antenna from end to end for a break, wiggling it about and no sign of that.
Maybe i'll give it a try another day and time will have solved the problem instead! Until then, these rx's have a big NFG sticker on them!

Traum 08-02-2010 09:32 PM

hope you solve this, could be of value to others....when shared solution.

kip51035 08-21-2010 08:53 AM

I had a transmitter with a bad antenna connection. The whole antenna slides up through a couple of wipers for the connection. I used a Hobbico Frequency Checker HCAP0340. With the transmitter antenna collapsed and no external antenna on the checker I could get 35 feet with my other three transmitters, but the one would only get about six feet. I cleaned the contacts and the antenna on the transmitter and then got the same as the others.

Thunder Chicken 05-26-2011 06:35 PM

Update:
This winter I sent the Tx and 5 rx's to Horizion to have checked over. They sent it back with a clean bill of health, no problems found, and no charge I may add.
However the gremlin came back and was effecting all of my PPM rx's. PCM rx's range tested OK. We switched out the Tx module with another and problem solved. However, with all this testing, checking and switching things around I've lost trust with this set. I'll range check before every flight but a 2.4 upgrade is in the future. Now, to buy a whole new package (JR9503)or a module for my T9CAP?!!!

kip51035 05-27-2011 08:39 AM

We have had a couple of computer radios start to do weird things and it was traced to the little battery on the circuit board. Unfortunately you have to send it in for programming after it is changed.