RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Engines (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Saito FA-56 "want to put a pitts style muffler on" (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=397066)

Chris045 01-02-2016 01:00 AM

Saito FA-56 "want to put a pitts style muffler on"

Hey Guys

I have a Saito FA-56 and I want to put a pitts style muffler on it anyone have any expirence or suggestions on how to do this. Thank you in advance.

Cougar429 01-02-2016 06:46 AM

Re: Saito FA-56 "want to put a pitts style muffler on"

Call Chief Aircraft to inquire about a Slimline muffler for your engine. (800) 447-3408

They will need to know if you are mounting it side or inverted.

I have all my 91-125 4-strokes on those mufflers and they work perfectly.

NDW 01-02-2016 09:27 AM

What plane is it going into? May not need a Pitts muffler. Just spin the muffler around till you find a place it fits better so the exhaust in blowing on either the firewall or cowl. Chief isn't cheap and are know to have the highest shipping to Canada known in existance...

D.

Max 01-02-2016 03:07 PM

Or just make your own header out of copper pipe and route it where you want it to exit the cowl.

4 strokes arent very loud by thier nature.

Chris045 01-02-2016 07:42 PM

Thanks guys! The plane it's going in is a great planes RV4. They reccomend the pitts style muffler for scale appearance. I'll look into chief aircraft to see what they say.

michaely 01-02-2016 10:01 PM

Chris,

Kits calling for a "Pitts style muffler" almost always are referring to a two stroke glow engine, not a four stroke.

As already suggested, the muffler and muffler manifold for a four stroke engine is smaller ..... and the muffler manifold allows one to orient the more bulky muffler with some flexibility.
This flexibility may be enough to completely or largely enclose the muffler within the cowl. Then there the further options of a different manifold to better orient and locate the muffler; at the extreme you can get as an accessory a flexible muffler manifold extension that would allow virtually limitless muffler location.
In all of these choices, the four stroke muffler that came with the engine would continue to be used.

good luck

Dennis Pedersen 01-02-2016 10:48 PM

I have ran the Saito flex headers before which allow you to bend the exhaust down to where you want it then reattach the stock muffler to the header. Another item I ran but from OS was the wrap around header which put the exhaust straight out the bottom behind the motor with an inverted mount.

Cougar429 01-03-2016 07:40 AM

There are also 90 degree adapters that allow much greater flexibility in where the stock exhaust can orient and exit.