RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Pylon racing Phoenix Q40 (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=136478)

kaptain 02-25-2012 09:53 PM

Pylon racing Phoenix Q40

4 Attachment(s)
The 1st day of racing is over at the Q40 opener in Phoenix. Pylon attendance maxed out at 80 pilots, some on the sidelines. Attendance from 8 countries, some carnage (11 or 12 planes) from close competition and bad air (occurs when a plane gets caught in wake turbulence from a leading plane, often around pylon 3).

See the attached pictures.... go Canada

williame3590 02-25-2012 10:01 PM

Re: Pylon racing Phoenix Q40

Very cool, keep us posted please and like you say....GO CANADA GO!!!!
Any chance of some video??

Bill:cheers:

smoknrv4 02-26-2012 08:05 AM

Sounds like fun, yes keeps us posted!

kaptain 02-26-2012 08:21 AM

Here is a video Randy Smith sent through earlier in the week, during some practice fights. For more general Pylon video go to the CPPRA web site.

Sparkfarmer 02-26-2012 09:34 AM

How....In the heck....do you keep track of that thing!!! What's with the other guy counting in the background?

That's pretty cool. I've never seen pylon racing before. No idea they moved that fast! So do you race against the clock?Or is it first one to complete x number of laps wins?

Guest 02-26-2012 10:53 AM

You know what's funny is that as I watched that my head was turning to the left until I finally realized I was all of a sudden watching out of the corner of my eye lol

kaptain 02-26-2012 11:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Q40 class currently being raced in Phoenix is the fastest class raced under the banner of the NMPRA (National Miniature Pylon Racing Association), arguably there are some faster classes raced internationally.

The Q40 class racers typically fly at 300KM/H on the straights around 3 pylons with as many as 4 planes in each heat. A lap pylon to pylon is 1/4 mile and 10 laps are run from a standing start. Fast times are in the one minute range.

The pilot is assisted by a caller who releases the airplane when the flag drops, and then runs to meet up with the pilot (who stands between number 2 and 3 pylon). The caller provides instruction and primarily calls for the pilot telling him when to turn at pylon one that is off in the distance. The top results generally are a pilot caller team that practice and fly together all year or many years. The caller establishes a rythm (cadence) that is used to determine when the plane has reached pylon one, four judges for pylon one turn on lights to confirm the planes has reached the pylon or another light to indicate if the pylon was missed (called a cut). A lane is allowed one cut in a race 2 cuts and you fly out of the circuit and receive 0 points. Planes are landed dead stick since the motors are tuned for one speed, mid 20,000 RPM.

A race of 4 planes can be very exciting for the caller / pilot teams, mid airs occur occasionally as well as wake turbulence from lead planes, flying low (30 to 100 feet) to the ground at 300 KM/h does not leave much room for mistakes. Pilots need quick reflexes, and strong nerves to run as close as possible to the pylons, hold their line and dodge wandering planes.

Planes are typically all molded composites, semi scale Reno racing machine, running special racing engines (Nelson or Jett) bladder fuel tanks, carbon fiber props, engine shut offs and the like.

I started flying in the late 70's, started racing in the mid 80's and have trouble getting the same excitement from any other form of flying, (full size, scale or sport).

The new EF-1, Electric Formula One class is run the same way, shorter course, but you can achieve a similar level of excitement in a closely matched race.

Go to the CPPRA web site to see more pictures, instructions and video of races, if you get the bug, checkout EF1, a great place to start.

I have attached a picture of a typical course, distances are in metric so I am not sure if this is a Q40 course or not, but the layout is typical.

Kevin M

kaptain 02-26-2012 11:30 AM

Here's a link to the CPPRA (Canadian Prairie Pylon Racing Association)

http://sites.google.com/site/cppradistrict3/

k.fluney 02-26-2012 07:41 PM

Kevin

Thanks for the update. Still working at promoting E F 1 event in southern Ontario, having a display of planes and info at the Aurora swap meet on March 11/012. Interest is growing, which is good news and with two more ARF's hitting market will help too.

Ken

cpaine 02-27-2012 11:37 AM

hope i can join ya Ken, maybe we can make up some info pamphlets for those interested.... ie; kits, approved motors, specs and general info....

and well said Kaptain', thats a pretty good "in a nutshell" explanation