RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Jet Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Trailer Set-Ups for Jets (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=238585)

TBrum 05-23-2014 12:44 PM

Trailer Set-Ups for Jets

I've got a 5x8 v-nose trailer that has 2 levels - the top is for the kids' planes and I've got the whole floor-level :rolleyes:. The trailer is currently set-up for the GS Aerobatic planes and I usually put my jets in the van.

With this season being a mix of FunFly's and Jet Events, I'd like to make my trailer a bit more flexible that I could either put my Aerobatic planes in or throw the jets inside the trailer.

My big concern with the jets is how to support the fuses in the trailer and fasten them down without putting too much stress on the fiberglass and also don't want to scratch any of the finish.... a lot different than the aerobatic planes where you just strap the landing gear to the trailer. I imagine a liberal use of a medium density foam is key, LOL

Any suggestions / pictures of trailers set-up for jets would be greatly appreciated.. will help me get the brain warmed up to a solution :TU::TU::TU:

Thanks

Trevor

champ874 05-23-2014 02:37 PM

Re: Trailer Set-Ups for Jets

Thanks for posting this Trevor. I have been transporting my jets in the trailer with all sorts of combinations of foam cradles and foam padded bungies for hold downs. I have not really found a solution I'm happy with.

TBrum 05-23-2014 02:55 PM

I was hoping I wasn't the only one!!

I was thinking of making up little plywood cradles that support the fuses in multiple spots with foam padding and some padded bungies that I could just screw down to the floor. But was interested if anyone had some pictures or suggestions to improve on that idea.

I use gear legs for the aerobatic planes and thought maybe there was something cool on the market for jets. Thousands of km on my trailer and never an issue with transporting my aerobatics... I want the same track record with the jets, LOL :):)

http://gearlegs.com/

KAPTAN KAOS 05-23-2014 04:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have a wood cradle for each jet. At home they sit on the rack in their cradle. When going to an event, they get moved with the cradle to the shelves in the trailer where the cradle gets screwed into the plywood shelf. I also have a section with foam covered bars pointing upright that all the wings fit into.

TBrum 05-23-2014 05:05 PM

Ya!... I saw you pull the Flash out of the truck in its cradle so that was my base plan.

What do you use for foam on the cradle?

champ874 05-23-2014 05:11 PM

Gary do you have any issues with the bungies over the fuse causing rub marks?

KAPTAN KAOS 05-23-2014 06:13 PM

Jets do not move at all. No scuffing from bunge cords. They are not too tight. Black foam is from Home Depot. It's about 1/4" thick and just over 1" wide.

dboyle 05-25-2014 09:29 PM

Hey Trevor

You need a bigger trailer.

I started off with what you had and I believe Gary did aswell.
I now have a 7x 14 with V nose so 16 ft overall and it still to small. Lol
With all you have lined up, don't kill yourself as you will upgrade whether you want to or not.

TBrum 05-25-2014 09:33 PM

LOL!! Not many rules here in regards to model airplanes, but a non-negotiable for my wife is that the trailer must fit in the garage :(:(. May be able to go to a 6x10 lowered roof, but that'd be the max.

Doug... any pictures of your trailer on the inside? Any suggestions/tips/tricks about transporting jets?

Trev

KAPTAN KAOS 05-25-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBrum (Post 1653881)
LOL!! Not many rules here in regards to model airplanes, but a non-negotiable for my wife is that the trailer must fit in the garage :(:(. May be able to go to a 6x10 lowered roof, but that'd be the max.

Doug... any pictures of your trailer on the inside? Any suggestions/tips/tricks about transporting jets?

Trev

Been there done that. My old 5 x 8 was good for four small to average size jets and would fit in the garage. Conveinient for when you ge home, just back up and close thedoor.

But as Doug has said, now I have a 7 x 16 ATC and love it. Local storage for me is $25 month,