RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   CARF SPITFIRE ASSEMBLY and SCALE DETAILING (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=424177)

BAMDFISHER 04-26-2016 06:01 AM

CARF SPITFIRE ASSEMBLY and SCALE DETAILING

4 Attachment(s)
I just returned from the US visiting my son and brought back my new 1/4 scale Spitfire from CARF. Normally I would have waited until October to start the build, but because I will be having some extensive health treatments soon, I decided that starting the build now would help keep my mine well occupied and not let me dwell on the negatives.

There are several Carf Spitfire builds out there and I will post links to them for anyone wanting to also go down this trip. I will be adding some extra scale items to make it stand out from some of the other builds.

Here is what I envisioned for my Spitfire.

A great sound in the air, so I got a Kolm 77cc 4 stroke engine for it. Carf suggests a DA 50 plus 4 pounds of lead to achieve the proper balance. Many others have opted for the DA 85 engine. This engine is heavy but I won't need much lead if I am careful during the build.

There are lots of versions to pick from, but I wanted one with a 3 bladed prop. The best examples of this are the Mk. V versions. This ARF also has the standard wing tips, standard rudder tip shape, early version of the elevators and the normal cockpit canopy. This then also limits the versions that you can choose from if your goal is to have it look semi scale.

With the choice of the Mk. V version comes with the option of 3 different wing armament (machine guns and cannons) and I will probably go with the "B" wing shape.

The nose shape is also up in the air but I probably will opt for the Volkes nose as this will allow me to get good cooling into the engine and still keep it's scale look.

Here is the paint scheme I plan to use.

BAMDFISHER 04-26-2016 06:39 AM

Re: CARF SPITFIRE ASSEMBLY and SCALE DETAILING

8 Attachment(s)
REFERENCE MATERIAL

Here is what I am using for guiding me through on some of the scale details that I will be using. The MORFORTON book is the ultimate for learning every dimension on the real Spitfire. Even though it is for the Mk. IX version, MOST of the dimensions apply to the earlier Spitfire builds. You can buy a PDF download of this 490 page document for$23.50 . A great purchase.

http://www.monfortonpress.com/

John Allan supplied me with the other books that I am using for reference. The variations of Spitfires even within one of the Mx. Version are numerous. This allows us to certainly have a unique plane from one another.

Daren71 04-26-2016 07:12 AM

Good luck with your health, and the build, Brian.

I will be watching with great interest.

Daren

Trumpetman 04-26-2016 08:53 AM

Wow! I'll be watching this build as well. All the best as you deal with your health issues.

BAMDFISHER 04-26-2016 02:13 PM

WEIGHTS

I am always puzzled how the manufacturers can claim that a plane can be built so lightly.

So I have decided to keep track of every gram that goes into this plane.

Hopefully this will help future builders achieve an even lighter aircraft.

BAMDFISHER 04-26-2016 02:37 PM

10 Attachment(s)
FUSELAGE FIREWALL

The engine I picked was the Kolm 77cc 4 Stroke with the large prop shaft extension. I did that because the cylinder head is so tall, I needed to put it as far back into the slim cowl as possible.

This choice makes it so I don't have the head hanging out on the bottom and ruining the scale look.

For future reference to new builders the distance to the FRONT of the Cowl fro the forward edge of the firewall is 185mm. If you are using a different engine that number will guide you if you will have enough room with out removing the firewall.

With the Kolm engine, that meant I had to remove 43mm and add a new firewall. The trick to making an accurate cutting line is to put the fuse rudder up and on its firewall and scribe a line all the way around. I then added two layers of 1/4 inch flexible tape to help me guide the Dremel diamond wheel as I cut the nose off.

There is a lot of discussion in some of the other build threads about how much offset needs to be built in. NONE NONE NONE! This information is right from CARF.

I built the firewall from 1/2 inch Birch plywood. I laminated the edges and inside with WEST Epoxy (slow cure) and added WEST 2 inch wide carbon fiber strips to give it extra strength. On the outside I put Finishing Epoxy to completely fuel proof it.

Here are the weights before and after.

ORIGINAL FUSELAGE 1350 grams

ORIGINAL FIBERGLASSFIREWALL REMOVED 66 grams
ORIGINAL WOOD FIREWALL SUPPLIED BY CARF 106 grams (but no glue or reinforcing tape)

NEW FUSELAGE WITH NEW FIREWALL 1620 grams.

So I have added a total of 270 grams. It would have been 170 grams with the CARF Firewall system as it is somewhat thinner.

At least the weight addition is up front.

BAMDFISHER 04-26-2016 03:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
PLASTIC MODEL REFERENCE KIT

I bought this Tamiya 1/48 plastic kit for reference.

The CARF is a 1/4 scale plane (actually 23%) so it's easy to upscale a unique part on the plastic kit by multiplying it by 12.

This kit has the very unique Tropical filter used in the Mediterranean action. With the inlet so far forward it should be easy to get lots of air to the fins of the engine by using good baffling.

mwavesdave 04-26-2016 04:19 PM

I've got a fair bit of Spit stuff, and collected what I can on Buzz Beurling. If I can be of any help, let me know. Really looking forward to this thread!

BAMDFISHER 04-26-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwavesdave (Post 2859801)
I've got a fair bit of Spit stuff, and collected what I can on Buzz Beurling. If I can be of any help, let me know. Really looking forward to this thread!

Thanks for you support.

There will be some stops now and then on the build as I have my surgery and then Chemo and Radiation treatments. But I will slowly plug on. Some days it will be for major items and when out of energy I'll tackle a small scale detail.

grosbeak 04-26-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAMDFISHER (Post 2859785)
PLASTIC MODEL REFERENCE KIT

I bought this Tamiya 1/32 plastic kit for reference.

The CARF is a 1/4 scale plane (actually 23%) so it's easy to upscale a unique part on the plastic kit by multiplying it by 12.

This kit has the very unique Tropical filter used in the Mediterranean action. With the inlet so far forward it should be easy to get lots of air to the fins of the engine by using good baffling.

I wondered why you were multiplying a 1/32 kit by 12 to get 1/4. Wouldn't it be a factor of 8? Then I looked at the photo of the box and saw that the kit is actually 1/48 scale. :)