RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Help with aerobatic choice, some feedback please (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=34938)

FaceDeAce 05-27-2003 10:49 AM

Help with aerobatic choice, some feedback please

Hi!

I�m looking for some information that may help me with a current dilemma - comparing aerobatic aircraft. I'm looking at my larger scale plane being a Cap 232, a Sukhoi, or an Extra 300. I would like to get some feedback on the pros-cons of each to help me decide. Power for the chosen plane will be a Saito 150 GK. So, big, but not huge.

My flying style is I have a handful of manoeuvres which I try to do every flight. I repeat them and try to perfect until the tank runs out. Then start over again. I seem to like the tumbling manoeuvres more. Snaps, spins, avalanches, etc. Still trying for consistence with that elusive lomcevak. Sometimes it's there, other time I'm left wondering "why not?� So, my style steers me away from anything suggesting precise patterns. Plus the wind is always blowing here so the occasional gust makes it real fun and interesting.

For the monoplane in question seem to I like all three, Cap-Sukhoi-Extra. I think I am leaning a little more towards the Cap 232 though.
My likes on the Cap. I like the looks more. It has a wing lower on the fuse than the Extra. I expect that the result is a little bit of roll and pitch coupling in knife edge, but that I am already used to dealing with. The horizontal stab/elevator is completely ahead of the rudder, no interference. In addition to the forward horizontal stab, it appears to be a bit shorter in the fuselage length; I expect the result is the snappier elevator response. Rudder looks massive and authoritative. The cowl looks cooler and would cover more of the Saito 150. I have not yet looked into all the kit/ARF manufacturers available for these so I have not developed any further opinion.

So that should give you a pretty good idea what I'm looking for. I put this as a poll to see the % of what is flown and preference. Any additional feedback information you post will be helpful.

Thanks Everyone!

JimMcIntyre 05-27-2003 12:11 PM

none of the above

If I were to buy an ARF for IMAC, this would likely be it: http://www.aero-works.net/planes/ult...ent/index.html

... if I were to buy an ARF. More likely I'd scale up my CG plans. :wink:

JimMoss 05-27-2003 02:19 PM

Ya Jim ... A Saito 150 should fly that real well! :roll:

Not!!! :twisted:

Claude I have a Midwest Giles 1/4 Scale with a 150 flys great.

I also have a Goldberg Ultimate with the 150 again flys great (flew long story :wink: )

My 2 cents.

Jim Moss :)

KevinPerry 05-27-2003 02:32 PM

CAP 232

Go for the cap232 if you like airplanes that tumble .The extra series fly like pattern planes compared to a cap or sukhoi . :wink:

JimMcIntyre 05-27-2003 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMoss
Ya Jim ... A Saito 150 should fly that real well! :roll:

Oops! missed the engine requirement. :oops:

In that case, go for the CG Ultimate. :wink:

FaceDeAce 05-27-2003 03:14 PM

The Ultimates

I've had experience with the bipes already. I have also flown the CG Ultimate with OS 1.08 in it, a nice chap allowed me a test flight - loved it and it is in the master plan, but the monoplane is what I am currently trying to zero in on.

Thanks!

Kevin McGrath 05-27-2003 03:18 PM

The full size CAP is renowned for tumbling maneuvers but uses the same wing as the Extra.I like the Sukhoi due to the radial cowl,plus its a bigger more spectacular aircraft,and you dont see as many of these at meets as Extras.
If I had to choose one for model use it would be the CAP,but its probably more important that the model be straight,the CG be located where its supposed to be,that your maintainance be flawless,and that you practice,practice,practice.........IMO.

Nuker 05-27-2003 04:56 PM

The Goldberg Sukhoi is back on the shelves. A 1.50 would fly it great (the guy at my LHS has that in his).

Best of all, it's different looking than a CAP or Giles.

For balance purposes I have a 1.80 for mine; still on the table unfortunately but all my research said this was a solid aerobatic performer and had great low speed and landing characteristics.

What more could you need :)

Bob

AJCoholic 05-27-2003 05:17 PM

200 Attachment(s)
I just got a NIB H9 Cap 232 ARF (the original 72" size) in a trade. I saw one fly with a Saito 150 last year and it was awesome!

I will put something sinilar in mine.... :)

james 05-27-2003 07:17 PM

I think if this your first giant scale I'd go for a sig extra 300xs. I say this thing in the air before and it flew great on a OS 1.08 but I think it would be way better with the saito 150.
James