RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Heli Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   ball links and balls or Z-Bends? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=76448)

Guest 06-16-2008 06:05 PM

ball links and balls or Z-Bends?

ok i am sitting here now wondering ,,,,, instead of using the stock ball link connectors and balls for the servos, (Century hawk sport)... could i not just take the links off the rods and make z-bends to hook into servos? do i need to change the whole rod to a different size? any help pls:)

Guest 06-16-2008 06:42 PM

Re: ball links and balls or Z-Bends?

is it possible to change the rods to smaller or not advisable? its not working out that i can get the balls for this thing that go on the servos... so i am trying to figure out the next best thing....

Heli_Gal 06-16-2008 07:00 PM

Why you're not using the stock ball for the servos instead choosing the Z bend? Z bend can be done, most older helicopters ie: Nexus or Concept30 are using z bends but it will worned out the servo horns thus creates sloppiness on the controls. I would not recommend to use z bends if possible.

Guest 06-16-2008 07:08 PM

heyya long time no hear lol
anyways long story short... i dont have the funds to actually pay the 25.00 plus shipping so i am trying to improvise ... this bird wont be doin any major flying as i am just starting out into the nitro aspect of helis..... when i traded my electric for this one, it did not come with the balls for the servos... ... hence improvising:) is there another way to go about hooking the controll rods to the servos? maybe by the type we use in aircrafts? or would that be to dangerous? i am slowly running out of options on this one.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heli_Gal (Post 533856)
Why you're not using the stock ball for the servos instead choosing the Z bend? Z bend can be done, most older helicopters ie: Nexus or Concept30 are using z bends but it will worned out the servo horns thus creates sloppiness on the controls. I would not recommend to use z bends if possible.

Vulcan1 06-16-2008 07:13 PM

If you have a LHS near you you could also convert to the 2/56 ball ends for your servo's. They have these and also 4/40 on the DuBro rack. I don't see any reason they would not work as you need to drill the servo wheel and bolt them on. I use them on aircraft.
John

dcaranci 06-16-2008 07:22 PM

Ball links are MUCH better because of the wear as mentioned above. Also, if you are intending to use the rods that came with the heli and are intended for ball link ends, then they are probably not long enough for Z-bends anyway.

HOWEVER if they are long enough, and you do have no other choice, then I suppose you could use Z-bends. I would suggest you not use a thinner wire for the control as this will introduce more flex in the rods. Rather I think it's better to make the hole in the servo arm slightly bigger to accept the size rod you curently have.

CAUTION: do not make the hole too big! It should be as tight as possible to still get the rod into it. Any bigger will introduce slop into the system (bad).

Also note that this process is not reversable (obviously). If later you decide to go back to the ball links, you would need to replace the servo horns and the control rods.

Hope this helps...
D

Guest 06-16-2008 07:25 PM

heyya John.... thanks for the tidbit of info... as these sizes on this heli is a Bastard size. according to a few.... they are 2mm balls for this heli. i would have to change all of the balls and links if i were to do what you just suggested .... hence z-bend or the hookups we use in aircrafts... the plastic servo connectors..... i'll swing by my lhs and see what they have for me in stock but as he only stocks cars aircrafts and trains , it may be hard to find anything for my heli........

aceplant00 06-16-2008 10:30 PM

How many 2mm balls you need. Was on www.rcflightstore.com. They have them with 2.8mm or 4.8 mm threaded shaft. They sell the links etc. Not too pricey.

Phil Noel 06-17-2008 06:23 PM

The size of the balls and the radius of the links that fit on them are all a standard size for helicopters, from most mini electrics to the 90 size nitro helis. These balls have a radius of 4.78mm.

What is different in the balls (known in the R/C helicopter world as ball joints), is the attachment part (2.0mm or 3mm). Those that attach to the servos arms, generally use a 2.0mm stud or through screw and nut. e.g. the KS-181 ($11.39 for 10 including screws & nuts) & the Century CNLR1005 ($6.39 for 10 of the balls only) and use 2.0mm screws or the Century CNLR1013A ($23.29 for 10) and have the 2.0mm threaded studs machined into them.

As for the plastic ball links. The differences they have are relative to the size of the rods they are designed to screw onto. e.g. the H13145 link set ($9.99) for the Century Hawk, are designed to screw onto their 2.3mm rods. Their are others that are designed to screw onto 2.0mm rods and others fro 2.5mm rods. Their CNLR1000S ($6.99 for 10) are for use on 2.0mm control rods.

Most of these items are available from a number of on-line stores.

Their are links to a number of them on our site:
www.leisuretech.ca

Flypaper 06-21-2008 06:39 PM

Z bends will work fine. My 12 yr old Lite Machines has them on the tail pushrod and Z links that go from the flybar to the blades. All original equipment. 1/16 piano wire.