RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Electric Flight (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Outrunner as a pusher?? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=85571)

Lash 03-10-2009 07:32 AM

Outrunner as a pusher??

I would like to use an outrunner as a pusher on a Zagi. Would I have to put the prop adapter on the rear of the motor and use a pusher prop or could I just switch the rotation direction by swapping the leads around and use a regular prop??

moo 03-10-2009 07:53 AM

Re: Outrunner as a pusher??

yes.

(ten character minimum)

astrofler 03-10-2009 09:07 AM

Re: Out6runner as a pusher??

just swap the leads would be the easiest way.

Tyler P 03-10-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 (Post 591215)
I would like to use an outrunner as a pusher on a Zagi. Would I have to put the prop adapter on the rear of the motor and use a pusher prop or could I just switch the rotation direction by swapping the leads around and use a regular prop??

I could be way off base here, but wouldn't switching the leads cause the motor to overheat and fry?

I would go with your first idea. Turnigy motors come with a nice can-mounted prop adapter that would work perfectly.

moo 03-10-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler P (Post 591235)
I could be way off base here, but wouldn't switching the leads cause the motor to overheat and fry?

You have been misinformed. Brushless motors will run perfectly happily in either direction simply by swapping two of the three leads. (sensorless brushless)

Brushed motors are a different matter as the timing is usually advanced in the direction of rotation and the brushes break in in one direction.

Lash 03-10-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moo (Post 591238)
You have been misinformed. Brushless motors will run perfectly happily in either direction simply by swapping two of the three leads. (sensorless brushless)

Brushed motors are a different matter as the timing is usually advanced in the direction of rotation and the brushes break in in one direction.

Exactly my reason for asking the question. I didn't know if running it in the reverse direction would cook the motor but this description is what I needed. Thanks.

Tyler P 03-10-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moo (Post 591238)

Ah yes, I knew some type of motor would have issues. Brushless are fine.:cheers:

Guest 03-10-2009 05:00 PM

Also, make sure that the prop is installed appropriately. It can act like a high-speed meat slicer.....

Also, the prop isn't as efficient.

astrofler 03-10-2009 06:09 PM

why not? after all it's running the same way as it would mounted as a tractor. Only the motor is reversed, not the prop.

Tomahawk 03-11-2009 01:42 AM

Just to clarify.

Switch two of the three wires to the outrunner to reverse the motor. Some escs allow you to reverse the motor in their programming.

You can use a regular prop but you must flip it over. The prop will look like it is mounted backwards on the prop adaptor.

Chris