RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Electric RC Helis (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Spartan Vortex VX1 (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=201789)

Riddick 08-18-2013 09:11 AM

Spartan Vortex VX1

Just looking for some feed back on the Spartan Vortex VX1 flybarless system. I am looking for an upgrade from the Align 3GX and was considering the jump to this.
How would you rate this system for overall performance and stability. I have watched a few online videos about the setup and it seems to be the most accurate TX setup I'v seen so far. thanks

dashpuppy 08-18-2013 09:55 AM

Re: Vortex VX1

Subscribed.

Have you also thought about the AR7200BX ? What radio do you run ?

Personally i'm about to give the V-Bar mini blue a test soon, haven't been happy with the AR7200BX tail holding and the direct feel.

I do see that Gaui makes a V-bar now for about 249$..

Riddick 08-18-2013 10:03 AM

I use a JR x9303 2.4GHz and 2 JR DSMX satellites on the 3GX. I have heard both good and bad about AR7200BX but mostly from user error.

craneman32 08-18-2013 12:51 PM

325 Attachment(s)
AR7200BX is rock solid! I have to agree though. User error is the biggest issue with all of these units. Some walk right through the setups with ease and others struggle with complicated instructions.

I battled with the 3GX with no success and ditched it. Others love it and swear by it. It's personal preference and budget. If you can afford to bounce from unit to unit and try them all great but most stick with what the heli came with or make one switch and stop there. If you have a chance to try the Spartan I say go for it. It's the first I've heard of it and have no input on it but I'm sure it performs just as good as the others if setup correctly.

Riddick 08-18-2013 02:17 PM

so far the 3gx has been great, excellent tail hold and hands off stability but I still notice servo twitch and jumps when sitting still on the bench. I'm still not sure what that problem is. I do think it's my setup using satellites and not a separate receiver. I guess it comes down to if it aint broke, don't fix it. just doing a little research. thanks for your input guys.

dashpuppy 08-18-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddick (Post 1370129)
so far the 3gx has been great, excellent tail hold and hands off stability but I still notice servo twitch and jumps when sitting still on the bench. I'm still not sure what that problem is. I do think it's my setup using satellites and not a separate receiver. I guess it comes down to if it aint broke, don't fix it. just doing a little research. thanks for your input guys.

mine move and twitch some times too, it's normal, my hc3 does it on the tail too. if your not used to the tail twitching it will scare ya lol!

spartan is a really good unit. they have been around long long time, just don't like the price. looks scary.

Riddick 08-19-2013 08:36 AM

Re: Spartan Vortex VX1

thanks, Tail servo is fine it's the cyclic servos that twitch. I really like the datapod that comes with the Vortex and the thorough TX setup.

snemi00 08-19-2013 12:33 PM

Your cyclic servos should not be twitching, thats odd..
There are a number of issues with the 3GX and frankly it's just far too much work to try and bother with it when all of the other systems have become quite simple to get working well.
It's hard to judge user opinions on units until you see their level of flight skill and experience. There are many people who have told me they have the 3GX working very well and when you see them flying it is all relative what well means.
If you are simply learning your orientations and basic manouvers, then likely the 3GX is all you need.
I have tried using the 3GX and have tried to assist many people at the club who insist on making it work.

The simplest answer is always to just put a Beastx or the Spektrum version of it on the machine and watch for the immediate smile after the first flight. I've never seen a situation where there was not immediate improvement and satisfaction.

Alternatively, if you're looking to be a bit more advanced, then a VBAR or Ikon/Brain, etc would be great as well.

Spartan is very late to the FBL game and lost a number of their loyal customers with their delays. There aren't very many people flying it, but it doesn't mean it isn't good. The problem typically is that the more uncommon something is, the less help you get from others and less knowledge base that exists.

For overall simplicity and great results, it's hard to argue with the success of the BeastX system

craneman32 08-19-2013 02:36 PM

325 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by snemi00 (Post 1370372)
Your cyclic servos should not be twitching, thats odd..
There are a number of issues with the 3GX and frankly it's just far too much work to try and bother with it when all of the other systems have become quite simple to get working well.
It's hard to judge user opinions on units until you see their level of flight skill and experience. There are many people who have told me they have the 3GX working very well and when you see them flying it is all relative what well means.
If you are simply learning your orientations and basic manouvers, then likely the 3GX is all you need.
I have tried using the 3GX and have tried to assist many people at the club who insist on making it work.

The simplest answer is always to just put a Beastx or the Spektrum version of it on the machine and watch for the immediate smile after the first flight. I've never seen a situation where there was not immediate improvement and satisfaction.

Alternatively, if you're looking to be a bit more advanced, then a VBAR or Ikon/Brain, etc would be great as well.

Spartan is very late to the FBL game and lost a number of their loyal customers with their delays. There aren't very many people flying it, but it doesn't mean it isn't good. The problem typically is that the more uncommon something is, the less help you get from others and less knowledge base that exists.

For overall simplicity and great results, it's hard to argue with the success of the BeastX system

I couldn't agree more! Plug and play right out of the box with VERY clear and simple instructions.

Riddick 08-19-2013 03:29 PM

For my flying style the 3gx works fine because I have not tried anything else and don't know the difference. It is quite easy to set up if your mechanics are correct. I will keep doing my homework. thanks