RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   HITEC 605 SERVOS-ARE THEY AN ISSUE??? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=48165)

jdiprofio 06-14-2005 11:28 AM

HITEC 605 SERVOS-ARE THEY AN ISSUE???

Hi There,

I am using a wack of Hitec servos in all of my planes. Of late, there was an issue with a freind losing a beautiful plane do to a servo failure. It was a Hitec 605. It seems that a bad solder joint came loose on the board inside the servo. Perhaps a vibration caused it. I have 605's on the elevator and rudder of my BRAND NEW EXTRA!! :shock: Has anyone else had a bad experience with Hitec 605's.

Any and all information would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Joe

PS-No slight intended towards Hitec...I love your gear.

aubej 06-14-2005 11:38 AM

Hi Joe,

This rumor has been going around for years. Here's my experience with 605 servos. I put one on the tail of my Raptor 30 over 3 years ago. I heard the rumor, so I opened the servo and filled it with goop (sillicone glue) and never had a problem.

I had one on the throttle of my 28% Edge. Put on about 25~30 flights last year, didn't notice anything. First flight this year....noticed on the ground that the servo was bad.

Are thr rumors true....who knows. Take your precautions I guess.

Jason

Gary Maker 06-14-2005 11:47 AM

I had all Hitec 605's on my Sig Cap 231EX and flew it for the whole season with no problems what so ever. To be honest, I did have one 605 not work for me brand new right out of the box. I sent it back and was given a new replacement servo which worked just fine!

Seeing that you have heard that there have been problems with these servos, no matter what folks say now, I believe that this will remain some concern for you personally. Even if they work perfectly, your always going be wondering if you will have a failure. I would suggest that you swap them out for different servos to prevent that anguish! MHO!

jdiprofio 06-14-2005 11:50 AM

Thanks guys. Perhaps I will replace them. Kinda sucks, as they are brand new!! :x

Joe

Gary Maker 06-14-2005 12:01 PM

They may be just fine Joe but I think its always going to be on your mind so your decision is probably the best way to go ... for you!

I do know that these servos have been replaced by a new number so perhaps there was a reason for Hitec making this move. You could send them an e-mail and let them know your concerns and even ask why they have been replaced. They are good guys and stand behind their product! They will reply to your questions.

Pretty well all my radio equipment is now Hitec and has been for a few years now. In all that time I have only had that one servo problem so to me, that says a lot for their relyability!

All the best with your new plane!

jdiprofio 06-14-2005 12:10 PM

Thanks Gary....I have already been bitten by the Extra (my own doing of course). On my fifth flight I got it slowed down to much and it dropped it's nose straight into the field just short of the runway. At 7.5 pounds I think the wing loading is a little higher than I am used to. Live and learn. The plane suffered little to no damage....thank god for grass fields. Perhaps I will have to learn to land a little hotter... :D

I am headed to the annual Fathers Day FunFly in Margaree Cape Breton. Hope the weather holds for us. It is a great time and it is a full scale runway. No room for error though!! Asphalt is really hard on planes that stall in....perhaps I will not fly the Extra out there... :lol:

Cheers,
Joe

Kevin McGrath 06-14-2005 12:47 PM

The 605s have been replaced with the Karbonite geared model 635 HB as far as I can determine and these definitely do have a problem and should be avoided IMO.
How many 605 s do you have and how much do you want for them?

jdiprofio 06-14-2005 12:50 PM

Kevin, I have 2 605's. I take it you like them better than the newer model?

Joe

Kevin McGrath 06-14-2005 01:02 PM

Been using 605s for years in 1/4 and 1/3 scale models with one failure.
I bought four of the Karbonite geared replacements for them and put them into service in applications where I have used 605s previously.
So far I have sent three back with stripped gears and received three new servos back no questions asked.
I have been lucky so far and landed models with one aileron or one elevator working but I am demoting these Karbonite geared wonders to throttle use only from here on out.
Lotsa folks are having the same experience Im afraid ..........run a search on the monster site and see what I mean......

jdiprofio 06-14-2005 01:05 PM

Thanks for the info Kevin. I should be home in the North Country for 10 days in August. Perhaps I will get a crack at the NIPMAC feild while I am home... :D

Joe