RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Heli Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Flymentor Success Stories (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=105423)

Max 05-18-2010 08:37 AM

Flymentor Success Stories

Okay, its been 2 weeks since I installed the flymentor in my kids heli.
The original thread is here:
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=104796

I still cant stop singing its praises for the rank beginner.

As I mentioned, this was a great confidence booster for my kids, the are able to fly the heli with great success. They still need dad to coach them too keep them out of trouble, but they are doing great.

Yesterday was "heli night" at our club field, and we several helicopter fliers out. We also had 2 new students that never flew before.

Student 1 had a blade CP400pro. This gentleman is retired and I would guess in his 70's. After I made adjustments to set it up for a student flier, he tried to hover the heli but within minutes he made a "dumb-thumb" mistake. Only minor damage, but the experience left him shook up.

I told him to grab his spare battery and we would fly my kid's Flymentor equipped heli. He was surprised that I would allow him to use my own heli since he felt he was not a very capable flier.
After just a few minutes of my coaching him, he was able to hold a steady hover. By the time the battery ran down, he was confidently drifting the heli around the flight box while maintaining heading.

Student 2 is an approx 50 year old gentleman that showed up about 45 minutes later with a busted heli. (this is the second time he crashed it while trying to fly on his own) It was a Eflight coaxial design..that he managed to crash not once but twice. Doh! H wanted some advice because he didnt want to be crashing anymore (and the financial toll has gone up into the several hundreds in replacement parts.

So once again, i pulled out the trusty Flymentor equipped HK450.
At first I had to coach him on every little detail. He had no understanding of how a heli flies, His cyclic control was nonexistent, he had no idea how to steer the nose, and his collective movements were jerky. In short, this guy was a disaster waiting to happen.

After about 3 minutes of me coaching left stick control (I had him minimize is contact with the cyclic and let the flymentor do the work) he started to catch on. Once he could control the collective and tail reasonably well, I got him to focus on drifting the heli with the cyclic.
By the time we got to the seven minute mark, things had "clicked" with him and he could hold a hover and drift the heli around the flight box.

I was blown away by this guys progress in ONE FLIGHT. Normally, I have seen people with this little helicopter knowledge *MAYBE* learn to hover in a dozen or so flights, but this guy "got it" within the time-span of the first flight!!

Needless to say, these two fellows are well underway to learning to fly thanks to this handy little gadget. I know they will be back next week for more lessons on my Flymentor heli

Of course, for anyone learning to fly on one of these, you should eventually learn to fly without it by de-tuning its sensitivity. But for the rank beginner, it can make a difference between success and failure. Between packing it in forever after continually crashing VS learning to fly with few crashes and becoming a lifelong RC heli flier.

HeliGunner 05-18-2010 09:12 AM

Re: Flymentor Success Stories

This is what I need for my Trex 500 ESP, but HK is currently been out of stock do you know where I can get one...Also, would this work with DX7?

Max 05-18-2010 11:55 AM

For HK stuff that is out of stock, I just place my order anyway.Then when it comes in they ship it to you.

Ie: I ordered one of those B6 chargers for a friend from HK. When I ordered it, it was -600 inventory.

I saw inventory go to -750, then it dropped down to -500

a few days later it went up again to -600, then a few days after that it dropped to -400, and that is when I noticed my order was complete and they were shipping my charger.

The point is, the inventory is never "IN STOCK" because they are back ordered by such a large number, and when a shipment of 200 or so chargers come in, they are immediately shipped to those that have ordered them

So if you order it when it is out of stock, you are first in line to get one when some inventory does come in. Does that make sense?

Also, it does not matter whether you are using 72mhz or 2.4, Futaba, JR or Spectrum. It will work on any one of these systems (and others I did not mention as well)

FYI, my HK450 that has the flymentor in it is running on a DX7 system.

The only thing that you must be sure of is that the mechanics for the heli are CCPM.

helinut205 05-18-2010 02:01 PM

I have one on order from HK too. I priced them at experience rc and he wants over $100 for them. I can wait for the one from HK. I plan on using it in my 600ESP and moving it into a algin 500e body with scale head. It should be a sweet bird.

Rooky 05-18-2010 02:44 PM

I recently ordered 3 of them from HK and when they come in will have a couple for sale. I hope it works as good as you say even if it saves just one crash.

hifly2104 05-18-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeliGunner (Post 715145)
This is what I need for my Trex 500 ESP, but HK is currently been out of stock do you know where I can get one...Also, would this work with DX7?

This is where I ordered mine http://www.enjoyhobbies.biz/gyro/kds...on-for-rc-heli Its a little more than HK but shipping is free. They tell you right up front it will take 10/20 days to arrive . Mine was shipped last sunday (its monday there)

xviper 05-18-2010 07:19 PM

I have one still on back order with HK but I also bought one from here:
http://www.rcmodelpart.com/product.php?id_product=639

A little more money yet again than "enjoyhobbies", but according to the tracking number, the item is in the system with China Post, so who knows.

Flyboy76 05-18-2010 07:43 PM

very interesting setup!!

hifly2104 05-18-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xviper (Post 715319)
I have one still on back order with HK but I also bought one from here:
http://www.rcmodelpart.com/product.php?id_product=639

A little more money yet again than "enjoyhobbies", but according to the tracking number, the item is in the system with China Post, so who knows.

Mine has a tracking number but much like certain ones that HK gives out hasn't shown up in the system yet. I just didn't want to wait for it to come off B/O at HK and have to wait for it to be shipped

xviper 05-18-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hifly2104 (Post 715346)
Mine has a tracking number but much like certain ones that HK gives out hasn't shown up in the system yet. I just didn't want to wait for it to come off B/O at HK and have to wait for it to be shipped

When did you order yours from HK? I ordered and paid for mine May 8 and all they'll tell me is that the order went to their warehouse for "print queue for dispatch".
The HK site only says the product is "BK". Usually they say how many in the negative they don't have, so don't know what this means.