RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   ARF / ARC Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Top Flite Cessna 182 Arf (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=124427)

shep1 06-22-2011 08:20 PM

Top Flite Cessna 182 Arf

I have ordered the Cessna 182 ( no idea when it will arrive) and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this model. I am planning on using a Saito 91 and Spectrum 8 channel radio. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

mrrandyman 06-22-2011 09:47 PM

Re: Top Flite Cessna 182 Arf

Hi, I have one too sitting in the box and from what I have heard is that the 90 will fly it very scale like but thats about it. I was told to go either with a saito115 or 1.2 I don't think there is any real right answer but the extra power helps.
Here is a link to the build. Hope it helps
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86..._1/key_/tm.htm

Oh by the way the box is huge.

Arceenut 06-22-2011 11:46 PM

I have the kit version of this plane. Flies well with an OS91 FS. Tracks like it is on rails, practically lands itself, will do mild aerobatics. Will not prop hang with the 91, but have you EVER seen a Cessna prop hang?

shep1 06-23-2011 09:00 AM

Thanks for the link mrrandyman. There is alot of information there and it will take a while to digest it all. I am looking for scale flying so I think I will stick with the 91 for now.
I also have the kit version still in the box Acreenut, just haven't the time or space yet to build it, still working on the hobby room after a move. I am planning on a Saito 125 for this one as I've heard it comes out just a little heavier than the arf. Again, thanks for the info guys.

mrrandyman 06-23-2011 09:18 AM

Start an assembly thread here when you start it. I can not get enough of the build and assembly threads.

shep1 07-10-2011 02:45 PM

Well I received the big box over a week ago. Did a quick check for damage and it looks like a nice model. Ordered and received a Robarts front strut to replace what is deemed a weak front gear in most of the forums. Now I am looking for the right muffler to install on my Saito 91 which will be installed inverted. The slimlne pitts style may be what I want but am not sure at this time. The forums also suggest beefing up the firewall and this I haven't decided how to do yet ( adding ply or going with carbon sheeting) The interior also needs to be painted and this will take some time because I am not a painter. Hoping to get to the model after my parents house has been emptied and sold. This venture is proving to be time consuming and right in the middle of flying season (sigh). Later.

Art

mrrandyman 10-30-2011 08:29 AM

Any Progress with your Plane?

shep1 11-01-2011 01:02 PM

I have started to work on the plane. It is slow going only because of other things happening
The covering looks to be very well installed with very few wrinkles noticed. I have installed
the ailerons and flaps and I am waiting for some replacement screws for the servo covers and horns. I found the screws provided to be very soft and stripped the heads on most of them(CA in screw holes made for a very tight fit). I also found the wire linkages for the ailerons and flaps to be of a softer material as well but still used them as the length was short. I am using Hitec 485HB servos for the ailerons and 425BB for the flaps. I have installed the wing tips and they were close to fitting, would not win any prizes for scale competition. The tips are only slightly larger than the wing and the covering did not match up ( no room to play as the tips were a light plastic mold). My next job is to test the ailerons and flaps before installing the wings to the centre piece which will be done after the new screws arrive. Not looking forward to the front wheel mod but it is necessary with the Robart strut and still thinking of a paint job for the interior kit. I may try to get some pics if my camera wants to co-operate ( hasn't been nice to me lately-time for a new one)
Hopefully will have more to report in a couple of weeks.

BK1 12-27-2011 09:41 PM

Hi,

I am 95% of the way through my build. The quality of the ARF is amazing & it goes together perfectly. I am going electric on this one- 6s.

Only one thing I over looked or could have done better- cutting of the monocote around the elevator. I cut it without enough monocote to iron in the fuselage before attaching the elevator. It still looks good but could look better..

One other thing- make sure you take the time to install the flaps with enogh space to allow for complete retract. When I was building mine it was easy to snug it up enough with out enough space.

Hope to Maiden in the next few weeks if the weather holds- if I do, I will let you know how it flys.

Good luck with the build.

Jimmy P 12-30-2011 01:50 PM

A few pics from any one building one of these would be nice?