RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Car & Truck discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   No more ebay! Shop Canadian (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=169952)

mike vandusen 01-25-2008 04:23 PM

No more ebay! Shop Canadian

I would like to pass on some news, if you shop on ebay, I am not a big "ebay "guy but i could not get these two parts up here in the north and if I could it would have been a while before I saw them ,anyways just to let you know after 60 days of waiting for a order you don't have a leg to stand on just ask Clendon at Hendersons hobbeis,he still has my $80.00 and my parts, I am done with that crapp and I should have known better. I am more sorry for the shops in the GTA that I did not help out and support. Sorry guys.

imported_Bubba 01-27-2008 11:23 PM

Ebay

well it would be really nice to shop locally only but sometimes cost wins out< with a bit of planning and patience I can get 100 worth of parts for 25 on ebay. that money I save goes a long way into buying new trucks and keeping me in the Hobby,

Taqrin 01-27-2008 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba (Post 190911)
well it would be really nice to shop locally only but sometimes cost wins out< with a bit of planning and patience I can get 100 worth of parts for 25 on ebay. that money I save goes a long way into buying new trucks and keeping me in the Hobby,

Ditto here. and yes Clendon at Hendersons hobbies is a bit of a nob.:DOWN:

imported_RCcanuck 01-28-2008 07:24 AM

lets be honest here....the internet is the store of the future....like it or not. The best case scenario is an actual physical hobby shop that has a good online store. That way both areas of commerce are covered...Out of the 4 shops I consider local to me I only enjoy shopping at one of them....the other 3 just have bad employees and in one case the owner is a jerk...
shopping online is just easier and a physical store can't compete with the selection you have online....

imported_4wdmt 01-28-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCcanuck (Post 190932)
lets be honest here....the internet is the store of the future....like it or not.

Agree. 100%.

Heck, I just spend another $150 (less $25) from tower hobbies. Those darn E-Mail discount codes always get me :).

bobf24 01-28-2008 12:05 PM

ebay is awsome if you do your research, yes you arn't going to have the parts in your hands the next day, but you can save so much money, my dad owns a hobby shop and I still get stuff online once in a while, sometimes they sell stuff for below cost, and other stuff the min order the companies want a hobby shop to order are so high its not worth setting up an account with them,

HYPERMAN 01-28-2008 12:12 PM

Online is the only way I will buy stuff. Factor in your time to get to the hobby shop, the cost of gas, the over inflated prices, dealing with people that don't know what they are talking about from time to time.

Sorry for the rant being my 1st post and all.

Taqrin 01-28-2008 12:26 PM

I know that a lot of the Canadian Hobby shops get most of there stuff from the U.S. and when the Cnd dollars was below the USd, the Cnd shops had to jack the prices just to make it worth thier time, but now that the Cnd is at par with the US, you'd think they would start lowering thier prices, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

These Cnd retailers should be selling at par with the US or at least close to it. We as the end user shouldn't have to suffer because the Cnd hobby shops can't get a good deal on stuff....but its the same with most Cnd and US items.....cars in the US are 10-15 grand cheaper than in Cnd for the same piece of crap....I just don't get it..

Cnd retailers should stand up and ask our government why we pay more for something the US sells for less...Oh wait a minute, I've figured it out....its those guys that have those cushy jobs on Parliament Hill that make $250,000 a year from our taxes that have a $75,000 personal buget and can aford these high prices, what do they care, they don't pay for it.....WE DO!......:OWNED:

Art Vandelay 01-28-2008 12:33 PM

Canadian hobby store owners still have to purchase the goods from American distributors, so if the distributor is not giving out adjusted-pricing discounts (due to the strong) dollar, the hobby store owner has no choice to give you the cost of the goods + the same old markup.

As far as the hobby store owners needing to stand up to the Canadian Government... the same can be said about the citizens, but we all know how responsive our Government is when it comes to 'our' needs.

The oddest thing is, by shopping on E-Bay, and by trying to avoid Duty and Taxes (on goods from the US), you are effectively pulling the rug out from the economy as a whole < just a thought.

Taqrin 01-28-2008 12:45 PM

The one reason for buying on eBay is not to avoid the duties and taxes, its because its cheap, (even with duties and taxes it's still cheaper) that and If I lived close enough to the US, I'd be there all the time to save money because it is cheaper than in Cnda

One would think that if a lot of Cnds are buying from the US and the Goverment knows this, then they would do something about it, like get better deals from the US for Cndns and stop the cross border shopping.

Like I said before, what do they care(the goverment/people on Parliament Hill) they have a good salary and a personal buget, they don't see the price tags when they need something, they just send out thier lacky to buy it, price isn't a factor for them....