RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   SHipping WIthin Canada vs To the US (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=90311)

DKNguyen 06-26-2009 11:29 PM

SHipping WIthin Canada vs To the US

Has anyone noticed that it costs MORE to ship WITHIN Canada than it costs to ship to the US? Seriously, what gives?

waylander 06-26-2009 11:43 PM

Re: SHipping WIthin Canada vs To the US

Ya, I've known that for a couple of years now. The issue is that since Canada Post only has to deliver it to the border and not deal with delivering it to the door/box or pick up at an outlet with the associated overheads.

When going to the US they just deliver it to US customs then USPS takes over the majority of shipping/delivering/pickup... etc.

I just think that with the USPS being so much larger and so much more being shipped that the cost per item is lower. It might also have to do with overheads such as pay scale and benefits of the employees.

All of the above would make sense except for the fact that shipping a small box from the US to Canada is ALSO cheaper. I've gotten a small box from the US for $1.75 (says on the postage). You can't ship any parcel in Canada for under $5

moo 06-26-2009 11:53 PM

Canada post hates Canadians?

imported_paintball_kidz 06-27-2009 12:26 AM

My theory is that Canada post cost more than usps. For shipping in canada your paying the price for shipping with canada post. And for shipping from canada to us, your partly paying canada post and usps(which is cheaper).

DaveJohansen 06-27-2009 12:35 AM

You have to wonder. I bought a kit from Tower Hobbies, they paid about $20 to ship it to me in Canada (paying both USPS and CanadaPost to do their parts). Unfortunately the kit showed up damaged (CanadaPost claimed it was USPS but whatever).

Tower said to ship it back and they would replace it. CanadaPost charged $95.00 to ship it back to Tower. Same groups involved so why the big difference?

Dave

marcham 06-27-2009 12:45 AM

57 Attachment(s)
Thanks to the current government, Canada Post has to become profitable as a crown corporation, whereas in years past crown corporations either had a balanced budget or operated at a lost.

FYI, a damaged package can be marked "return to sender - damaged" and the return shipping is free. Alternatively, keep the damaged parcel, take photos and the shipper has to file a claim, it may take up to 6 months. I have had damaged goods come in from the US 2 in the last few years, every time the shipper simply sent me the items again as it's not worth their time and money to deal with a USPS claim.

If the package was damaged by USPS, Canada Post would have affixed a label to the box indicating the nature of the damage when it arrived to the canadian sorting centre. But even if Canada Post caused the damage, the sender has to file the claim with the origin shipper (USPS).

mcx 06-27-2009 01:45 AM

i find that shipping any parcel no matter what it is , is bs with cp. it costs more to ship to alberta then it does to bc? i also find that different post offices charge more thyen others. like example. something costed 10.00 to ship from bc to ontario... sent in the same box it cost more to go from ontario out to bc? what gives? i think cp is highway robbery.... but what can ya do?

DKNguyen 06-27-2009 02:57 AM

Make no mistake though, USPS and Canada Post are still infinitely better than UPS.

bobreib 06-27-2009 08:08 AM

Our postal rates are ridiculous ! I can send a parcel to London England ( 3000 miles ) for less than I can send it to London Ontario ( 50 miles ). Providing a reasonable letter and parcel service within Canada certainly isn't on the minds of the people in charge of Canada Post.

waylander 06-27-2009 08:26 AM

The problem is that we have no viable alternative in Canada. In the US, UPS is a very reliable service and in some cases cheaper than USPS. No such thing in Canada, UPS is the same or even more expensive.

I actually get items from China or HK for cheaper shipping than from Great Hobbies in the Maritimes (if the Edmonton store doesn't have it in stock.

I think this hurts Canadian business to a degree.