RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   What engine best suits a Midwest 27% CAP 232? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=189937)

Pitts Samson 12-01-2012 11:17 PM

What engine best suits a Midwest 27% CAP 232?

What engine best suits a Midwest 27% CAP 232?

I need to buy an engine for this project. DA or 3W 50cc or a Moki 1.80 -2.10.

I also have a Midwest Super Stinker that need an engine. I figure the same crowd would be aware of this models requirements.

I have a couple NIB Irvine 1.50's that are quite powerful but a given displacement usually determines the engines power output, all things being equal and the they are just good 1.50 2 strokes.

Season's Best Gentlemen.

DennisWard 12-02-2012 01:50 AM

Re: What engine best suits a Midwest 27% CAP 232?

The Mokie is great in both planes , have been there.
If the planes are light in finish I would try a DLE30.
DAor DLE 55 next choice. 3W WAY to heavy.........

Pitts Samson 12-02-2012 02:29 AM

Thank you for the reply. I presume you like the DLE. I have to ask though, are they any good? The price is resonable. I have been perusing AMR's site and there are engine makers I never heard of.

luv2flyrc 12-02-2012 08:05 AM

Both planes were designed around the Moki 1.8. The 2.1 gives awesome performance. I had both these planes back around 1999- 2000 when they were considered GIANT scale LOL!

They are built a little light to take the pounding of a gas engine for the long term. Not saying you can't do it, my buddy used to have a Brison 3.2 in his Midwest Extra at the time but, it used to pound the hell out of the airframe.

Mike

Frank Klenk 12-02-2012 10:42 AM

If this is the plane I am thinking it is then I had a Saito 1.8 in mine and it flew great.

Pitts Samson 12-02-2012 03:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank Guys. I appreciate the input. Every minute at the keyboard is time lost modelling. In a way I wish I could get rid of the computer. Life was different back then. It seemms like the Moki 2.10 on FAI fuel is the most practical and easier on the airframe. I saw a pair of models at the London's Club Field. Midwest CAP 232 and small version of the old Ohio Ultimate, made by a new outfit. Both well built models did great on the 1.80 Moki thanks to the pilots skill. I may look at whether the 2.10 is more difficult to run for any reason. I will also get a good quality prop. Maybe 3 blade composite. I am not a 3D guy.

Cheers, Bill in Owen Sound

Mendes 12-02-2012 07:06 PM

Moki 2.1 for the Cap for sure, had one in my Midwest Extra and loved it. The Super Stinker would do well with an Irvine 1.5, since you have one already that's what I'd go with.

Rich.

ModelBuilder 12-03-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mendes (Post 1292546)
Moki 2.1 for the Cap for sure, had one in my Midwest Extra and loved it. The Super Stinker would do well with an Irvine 1.5, since you have one already that's what I'd go with.

Rich.

Thank you for that Rich. I have 2 on the 1.50 Irvine Mk 1 engines. The model prior to the red powder coated version that was dropped by SIG who had the distribution rights for North America. Great Hobbies was selling the MK 2 for $489.00. That was the price but I doubt if they were selling many when a Moki is half the price. I am going to guess that Moki's have come down in price with many of the glow engines. The Mark 2 went to more of a Dykes ring but the carb went away from the cast version and comprimised the engines performance. Fortunately I have the revered type that I forget the name of now.

I bought a couple extra sets of gear, cabanes and canopies along with the kit and am making scratch built duplicates with the lighest materials I can use. That kit is heavy in the box. So many parts but I know the plane is a great flyer out of the box. A good light model should fly very scale like with the 1.50 on FAI fuel. I just needed a more experienced model builder and flyer to verify it. I'll get the 2.10 for the CAP as well.

I want to run a redundant power system and know squat about it other than dual high quality swithes and another battery in a free slot. Not the best setup. I wonder if for these two models if more than a new heavy duty JR switch and a strong high quality battery is warranted. Switch failure takes out models. Batteries are the next culprit as far as failing I believe. There must a basic or popular protocol for larger models. I belong to MAAC but not an RC club. There are no local flyers I know to glean info from. Gotta read more.

EDIT: Problem Solved, a search on Google "Redundant battery system for radio control aircraft"
turned up enough stuff to hopefully take care of it. That was too easy.

Thanks for your reply, Bill

ModelBuilder 12-03-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Klenk (Post 1292357)
If this is the plane I am thinking it is then I had a Saito 1.8 in mine and it flew great.

Hi Frank,

This CAP must have been a popular plane in the day. Midwest did a CAP run a couple years ago with a wooden wing. I suppose I could cut foam cores with the root and tip template. The way these kits sell these days, they may still have some. They were on clearance.

Cheers, Bill

ModelBuilder 12-03-2012 11:59 PM

CAP seems to be available still

http://www.midwestproducts.com/store...2/Cap_232.aspx