RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Fixed Wing (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   New use for shrink tube. (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=357393)

tommy 07-13-2015 02:33 PM

New use for shrink tube.

I want to use two aileron servos instead of one and the linkage in a biplane, but was having trouble trying to roll the tubes out of paper. Could not find plastic tubes large enough in my little city. So I improvised with 1/2 " shrink tube to run the wires in the wings. Now the question is, do you think the tubing will shrink inside the wing do to heat from the sun, If any one has used this method or knows when the shrinking starts please let me know as I'm dumb as a what ever?

Mike Sebastien 07-13-2015 02:39 PM

Re: New use for shrink tube.

Don't know if i would use shrink tubing. When the wing heats up in the sun the tubing may shrink.

Just roll some heavy paper loosely around a appropriate size dowl tape it and remove it.

micadley 07-13-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy (Post 2463353)
I want to use two aileron servos instead of one and the linkage in a biplane, but was having trouble trying to roll the tubes out of paper. Could not find plastic tubes large enough in my little city. So I improvised with 1/2 " shrink tube to run the wires in the wings. Now the question is, do you think the tubing will shrink inside the wing do to heat from the sun, If any one has used this method or knows when the shrinking starts please let me know as I'm dumb as a what ever?

Check out your local MAC's store... I have used the SLIRPIE Straws. They work great and servo connectors fit inside. Just tape a couple together if you need them longer.

Frank Klenk 07-13-2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micadley (Post 2463633)
Check out your local MAC's store... I have used the SLIRPIE Straws. They work great and servo connectors fit inside. Just tape a couple together if you need them longer.

Really, from beer to slurpies ...

micadley 07-13-2015 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Klenk (Post 2463697)
Really, from beer to slurpies ...

If beer is cold enough and at just the right temp it does become a slurpie. Then the slurpie straw would also work for beer.

tommy 07-16-2015 06:56 AM

Shrink tubes are in, servos are in, I am going to set it in the sun for a day while I drink slurpies in case the shrink tube shrinks. Thanks to all.

cadcamguy 07-16-2015 09:06 AM

Shrink tube takes a lot of heat to shrink. I have used a flame and a soldering iron to shrink it. If I did the same to the wing, it would ruin it. The sun doesn't .
That's my opinion

Ron Marwood 07-16-2015 10:22 AM

I have used shrink tubing in a couple of wing sets. I slid it over a piece of rigid tubing and heated it with mt heat gun to round it make it slightly rigid then pulled the rod out. Worked good for a number of servo replacements over a few years. As long as the plane lasted.

micadley 07-16-2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy (Post 2467217)
Shrink tubes are in, servos are in, I am going to set it in the sun for a day while I drink slurpies in case the shrink tube shrinks. Thanks to all.

Make sure the slurpies are beer based. By the end of the day you won't care if they shrink.

tommy 07-20-2015 10:35 PM

The shrink tube I used was 1/2" and 3 ft. long. Bought it at the Bolt House. This information is for abstainers, diabetics and all others who are in the hobby and have health restrictions. Oh it was a problem to use in the wing until I cut 27 inches off and then it did not fold over between the ribs and the wire slid through like it should. Thank goodness for smart friends who know more than I .Good flights to all!