RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Jet Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Tomahawk Futura 2.5 maiden (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=256681)

manpole 07-21-2014 06:19 PM

Tomahawk Futura 2.5 maiden

Well I finally got her in the air. Here is the link!:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pglx1TMpeQ

dashpuppy 07-21-2014 06:25 PM

Re: Tomahawk Futura 2.5 maiden

Nice flight, she looked nice ! Good job !

Helijet 07-21-2014 06:42 PM

Interesting whistle you got there. Sounds like you are suspecting the smoke tube. Try putting some fluid through and see if it goes away. If not, then take a close look at the exhaust tube to see if there are any large gaps along the seem that may not have been welded. I had that same sound once before on a poorly welded pipe.

I'll be joining you for some big pattern flying next time - with my Avanti XXL
Kingtech power too!

Dean

manpole 07-21-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helijet (Post 1774353)
Interesting whistle you got there. Sounds like you are suspecting the smoke tube. Try putting some fluid through and see if it goes away. If not, then take a close look at the exhaust tube to see if there are any large gaps along the seem that may not have been welded. I had that same sound once before on a poorly welded pipe.

I'll be joining you for some big pattern flying next time - with my Avanti XXL
Kingtech power too!

Dean

Hey, are you going to be at tofield this year? Haven't put fluid through smoke pipe yet but next flight will tell all...

Can't wait to see the large avanti!!!

Andrew

akb 07-21-2014 07:07 PM

Hey Andrew
Looks great. Those colors really pop in the air as well. Yes that is an interesting whistle all right. Never heard of that before. Probably see you in Tofield before we get out to Cayley.

Congrats

Alan

manpole 07-21-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akb (Post 1774457)
Hey Andrew
Looks great. Those colors really pop in the air as well. Yes that is an interesting whistle all right. Never heard of that before. Probably see you in Tofield before we get out to Cayley.

Congrats

Alan

Sounds good Alan! Haven't done much flying this year, only Princeton and the maiden on the futura. Hope to burn lots of kero the second half of the summer!!

Andrew

smchale 07-21-2014 07:50 PM

I've heard that whistle before. I believe it happens if the turbine is too far away from the bellmouth. What is your gap set to?

manpole 07-21-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smchale (Post 1774513)
I've heard that whistle before. I believe it happens if the turbine is too far away from the bellmouth. What is your gap set to?

My turbine nozzle is actually about 1/2 inch within bell. I'm going to try filling the smoke nozzle and if still whistles I'll have to slide the thrust tube back!

Andrew

Cy Paul 07-21-2014 08:31 PM

Very nice Andrew, I love your flying site also!

smchale 07-21-2014 09:06 PM

Andrew, where is the end your your exhaust cone in relation to the taper of the bellmouth. My understanding for that style bellmouth is that if drew a line where it starts to taper, and where it stops its taper and goes into the pipe, then the end of your exhaust cone on the turbine is right between those two lines. On grumania pipe which is similar in shape this point is 45mm from the face of the cone.
Just a thought. Plane looked to fly well, enjoy it!