RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Jet Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   AJC's build project for this winter... (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=43601)

AJCoholic 10-29-2004 03:58 PM

AJC's build project for this winter...

200 Attachment(s)
Well, I have officially started my jet project for this winter. The plan is to build the landing gears first, then worry about the airframe.

I started this afternoon on my lunch break, by making the front wheel hub. I purchased Trim tires from Ed and Kevin last year, and the first step is to make the hubs.

Front wheel, 73mm, two piece hub turned from 6061-T6. Split design, held together with 6 SS 3mm cap head screws. Oilite bronze bushing, drilled/reamed for a 3/16 axle. I bead blasted the inside, then repolished up the rims.

Next step is to work on the front leg, and retract unit. When I am happy with thet I will work on the main gear wheels, legs and retracts.

You gotta' start somewhere, so here it is! Step #1 down.... :)

PS this is going to be a thread about how you can, with a little elbow gease, manufacture your entire jet and support equipment (landing gear, valves, brakes, etc) and save some big time $$. Its nothing more than my attempt to show someone who perhaps thinks its beyond the means of the regular modeler.. that is isnt!

gus 10-29-2004 04:43 PM

Andrew, that's fantastic.

Can I get AJC parts at the LHS? Buy the wheels, get the dreams free.

gus

Guest 10-29-2004 05:05 PM

What is the plane going to look like, or is that still in the thought process stage?

aubej 10-29-2004 05:26 PM

I'll be tuning in daily! :lol:

Jason

AJCoholic 10-29-2004 07:48 PM

200 Attachment(s)
Heh heh Jason, I dont know about daily, but those who know my habits know when I get into something, I spend all my spare time doing it...

Peter, as I mentioned in the posting regarding what we jet guys are working on this winter, I am going to design something along the lines of a DV8R... only not quite as "fancy" - ie, more box like. Or I may go with a twin boom design like your Tango. But I am leaning tawards a split rear end like the DV8R.

This evening I started working on the front retract unit. Its my first try at making a retract. I started with a solid block of aluminum and milled it out. Made the part that holds the leg, and pivot, etc. Just need to clean it up and do some final milling, then I can make the air cylinder and ram, and put everything together...

Hopefully tomorrow I will have a near complete nose unit and post a few pics.

Gus, I take it one step at a time. My dad was down in the shop working on one of his projects... he came over a few times while I was hogging out the aluminum block and asked me what I was doing, and if it was going to work. I said "well geesh Dad, of course it is going to work!".. he didnt look too convinced... ;) You have to have a little faith, and a little creativity and it doesnt hurt to also study the retract designs that Robart and others have out on the market!

nony 10-29-2004 11:22 PM

Now if you could make a decent set of brakes, the world would beat a path to your shop......

AJCoholic 10-30-2004 06:53 AM

200 Attachment(s)
Havent decided what to do with brakes... I may go the "o ring" BVM/Trim way, or I may try something new and original... take it one step at a time.

Thats why I started with the front unit, no brakes to deal with!

Off to the shop.... :)

Guest 10-30-2004 07:40 AM

Andrew..
Any chance you might want to consider building two DV8R like airframes????

AJCoholic 10-30-2004 10:44 AM

200 Attachment(s)
Peter, dont tell me you want another jet! :)

I wouldnt want to build another untill the first one is flown and it checks out OK. However, sticking with a pretty conventional layout I am not too worried.

Just home for lunch - I machined most of the working strut for the front gear this AM and hope to finish it this afternoon, and perhaps get the air cylinder and retract done as well.

Promise more pics later today!

Guest 10-30-2004 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJCoholic
Peter, dont tell me you want another jet! :)

I wouldnt want to build another untill the first one is flown and it checks out OK. However, sticking with a pretty conventional layout I am not too worried.

Just home for lunch - I machined most of the working strut for the front gear this AM and hope to finish it this afternoon, and perhaps get the air cylinder and retract done as well.

Promise more pics later today!

Nope but you know I llike the DV8R.....
Looking forward to seeing some more pictures.
The wheel looks good.