RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Jerry Bates 1/4 Scale deHavilland Chipmunk (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=138458)

planecrazy 04-05-2012 11:46 AM

Jerry Bates 1/4 Scale deHavilland Chipmunk

4 Attachment(s)
Going against my rule to only have 1 build project going @ the same time... I received a set of plans from Jerry Bates for one of his newest creations.

Jerry has designed a 1/4 scale (103" ws) deHavilland Chipmunk. I've been selected to proof build this one! Great timing! Last year I spent most of the winter refurbing my 1/5 scale Dynaflite Chipmunk. Unfortunately, a bad battery & my own stupidity ended its career @ the Warbirds over the Bay event. In the picture, it doesn't look that bad but its from 200 ft away. The wing is toast & so is the fuse from the cockpit forward.

This chipmunk will be a Canadian one, only problem being that there are no 1/4 scale bubble canopies for the Chipmunk. So I'll have to make my own.

planecrazy 04-05-2012 11:55 AM

Re: Jerry Bates 1/4 Scale deHavilland Chipmunk

12 Attachment(s)
So I got a short kit (fuselage frames, wing ribs, other special cut parts, no sheeting or sticks) from Bob Holman and picked up an engine (Zenoah G-38 )from right here on RCC. It took quite a long time to recieve the plans (Canada Customs thought they were for the full sized Chipmunk!) which has lead us to discussions with Jerry for Ontario Adhesives to become the Canadian Dealer for his plans.

The plans are typical for Jerry's designs, very clear and concise with some construction notes but not a ton of info. You need to be experienced with building, he leaves you to your own on a number of things. Plus he adds pilots who look P.O.'d (for what reason I don't know! They're flying in a Chipmunk!! The should have smiles a mile wide!!!)

planecrazy 04-05-2012 11:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So we just moved into a house in Cornwall, Ontario (a 800+ km move) and I HAD to get my work bench set up! The wife was good enough to let me take a break from box unpacking duty to do this.

Alright! So, parts have been inventoried & some glueing has commenced!!

First I had to glue the fuselage jig, show on the plans as a 1 piece affair but Bob cut them into a 2 part. I first glued them together but found the joint was kinda wobbly so I glued a couple of slices on each side to reinforce the joint using some scrap light ply from the parts sheets.

I then tack glued the fuel tank box together with some Super Phatic. I have to hit the LHS since I couldn't find my 1/2" triangle balsa, once I get that I will epoxy the joints together and the triangles into place. Kinda got ahead of myself, but I think the epoxy will soak\creep into the joints.

SpaceCowboy 04-05-2012 03:38 PM

Hi Chris ; Those pilots are probably ticked off because there are no guns on the Chipmunk. ;-)

I guess the B-25 is set way back now eh ?

Mike

planecrazy 04-05-2012 05:38 PM

Mosquito actually. As I had said I wouldn't be getting to it for a while. I've paused on the Vance Mosher Fairey Firefly I was building (and hope to get back onto asap), 1/5 Hawker Typhoon and a Tempest II (both designed by Jerry)and a few others I can't remember.

Trumpetman 04-05-2012 09:02 PM

Hi Chris, I have always loved the Chipmunk and especially the Canadian version. I'm sure that it will not be great for IMAC but wouldn't it be fun to try! I'll be watching this build carefully.

planecrazy 04-06-2012 06:00 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Well, spent a few hours in the shop.

Got the 1/2" balsa triangles epoxied into the corners of the fuel tank box.

got the fuselage jig assembled and "secured in place" and pinned a 1/4" sq balsa along it, this will be the keel and all the fuse formers will be glued to it. It is bloody long so I jointed 2 1/4" sq together using a scarf joint. And the tail wheel bracket mount was added to the very end.

I got out the firewall and marked off center, as soon as I find my hole saw I need to cut a hole for the pto drive off the back of the G-38.

planecrazy 04-08-2012 04:22 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Happy Easter everyone! Well, my gift to me was some quality time in the shop!

First I have to get caught up on my progress.

Over the last few days I've taken the fuel tank box and mounted it on the fuse jig and slid fuselage frames into place. Can't say this was easy cause I was using pins to hold the 1/4" sq bottom stringer on the jig which in evitably got in the way! After much cursing and name calling I got F1-9 on and allowed the Super Phatic to set. Not too concerned about the difficulty, as I have read someone's signature once "If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth doing" In the end I know it'll turn out fine and probably be a nice strong structure (especially for the way I land!)

After F9\F9A the frames were added using 1/4"sq balsa, to get them square I secured the tops of F1-4 and added the cockpit top rails to tie in F4 through to F9Once I knew the frames F1 to 9 were square I could move aft to F16

And I added the wing root rib. I'm going to be stuck for a bit, I went to the closest LHS (the west end of Montreal island) to get some 1/8"x1/4" basswood (as per the plans) but all he had was 24" lengths, i was hoping for 48". So I have to try to find some. There is a Michaels in town, slim chance but I'm hoping they'll have some. Otherwise I have to order....

planecrazy 04-11-2012 10:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
One quick post before heading out to the Toledo RC Expo.

Got a little help from a member out in BC, he used to produce a 1/4 scale Chipmunk but has since sold all the molds and they've disappeared into someone's personal collection. He did send me his last remaining canopy to use as a master to create a plug!

It's a biggun!! Over 2 ft long!

planecrazy 04-22-2012 01:28 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Well, its the week end after Toledo, had a blast! We did very well, sold out on a number of products. Thanks to all those who stopped by to say hello!

Back onto the Chipmunk yesterday, got some 1/8x1/4x36 basswood from AMR, nice 2 days from order to my door! I'll be ordering from them again!

So, just laying in stringers....

and started on the horizontal stab & elevators