RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Shipping from US (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=91682)

Cricklewood 07-26-2009 08:08 AM

Shipping from US

I am looking at getting a plane from the US (from a fellow modeller) and am looking for ideas on how to ship it. Speed is not an issues. The plane will be in box weighting approximately 20 lbs and measuring 80" x 24" x 18". It would be coming from North Carolina to the Toronto area.

I want to do this at as reasonable a cost as possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Guest 07-26-2009 08:31 AM

Re: Shipping from US

Have him ship it USPS. When it gets to your door they will probley charge you PST and GST. On the back of the slip there is an area called Refund Reqeust. If your buddy signs a letter showing this is a gift, You should be able to get most of the money back that the Gov tries to steel. UPS will rip you off Blind! Dont use them no matter what.

Use the calcultor at USPS to find the shipping cost.

Mecos 07-26-2009 08:32 AM

If possible, avoid carrier services such as FedEx, UPS, DHL. etc..

Their brokerage fees on top of the taxes are very expensive, although their delivery speed is the fastest since they speed up the custom clearing process.

I would recommend using USPS (United States Postal Service) (PMI) Priority Mail International.

This service can take 6 to 18 days to arrive, however, you will have a tracking number you can follow, you can take additional insurance, you can select signature at the door for delivery confirmation, and Canadian Customs may only apply the taxes and Canada Post a maximum handling fee of 5.00.

If there was no money exchanged for the product that is being shipped you can devalue its worth to minimize or remove any tax application at customs by estimating its value at less than 25.00 on the CN22 - 23 form and / or tag it as a gift with no invoiced value. You are still protected by way of tracking number, however the insurance coverage may be void in this case.

So make sure the person sending it to you packs that box well that allows for a couple of bumps during its travel.

bkrfrmhell 07-26-2009 09:24 AM

Unfortunatley your package seems too big for usps. If it is I would cancel the deal. as shipping/brokerage charges could easily break $200 or more. On a $100 value item brokerages runs about $50 alone through ups.

aceplant00 07-26-2009 09:28 AM

you may want to see if any of the local trucking companies near you truck through north carolina. I think the box you have may be too big to ship usps 108" total girth

hifly2104 07-26-2009 09:28 AM

I am thinking that this is to big to ship by USPS there are limits I had a box that size to go to California a few years ago and found a trucking company to take it. Your best choice though in my opinion would be to have it sent to the closest place of entry for you by Greyhound .There are usually places in these points of entry like mailboxes etc etc that will receive it for you and then you pick it up there.Other than that how is the weather down there go for the drive. We drove to Philadelphia last year to pick up a plane.Was well worth it and we had had no holiday plans so we made it a family trip too:lol::lol:

waylander 07-26-2009 09:57 AM

This is way too big for USPS Priority, here are the limits.

- Individual dimensions may not exceed 42 inches in length, 79 inches in length plus girth combined.

Out of the courier services, Fedex is the cheapest in terms of brokerage fees. UPS is the absolute worst.

Cricklewood 07-26-2009 10:06 AM

Thanks for all your replies.

Unfortunately, and very dissappointing, the plane has been sold to someone else so no need for this now.

Chris

4*60 07-26-2009 02:54 PM

Next time find a receiver in the US, just across the border. Ship to them, pay their fee, and pick up on a nice drive past Niagara. Pay GST/PST HST? and bring it home.

VA6WGO 07-26-2009 04:45 PM

Bax Global is pretty good and they are resonable. I have use them before when getting a plane from Ohio and from California to Fort McMurray, Alberta.

Cheers,

Will