RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Vinyl Graphics Cutters (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=207437)

Midair 12-26-2013 01:20 PM

Vinyl Graphics Cutters

I became frustrated recently while looking for aircraft civil registration letters for my latest scale aircraft; I could not find the correct size and/or colour. The thought that I might have to hand cut the letters did not appeal to me so I began to research vinyl cutters and came across the Silhouette Cameo. It's a small reasonably priced 12" cutter that will apparently work with Monocote and Ultracote trim sheets, as well as other similar products. Has anyone had experience with these types of cutters? Do they perform well? Can they be used to cut patterns from iron on or heat shrink covering. The Silhouette Cameo can be purchased in Canada for around $270.00. Are there better products available? You thoughts and experiences appreciated. The attached link shows the cutter in action.

Cheers,

Peter

Dave Holmes 12-26-2013 03:02 PM

Re: Vinyl Graphics Cutters

That look like the answer, all right. I have looked at the Cricut, but you are limited in what you can do. It requires you to buy a new cartridge for every set of shapes or font you want to use. Like many other systems they give you the machine at a very reasonable price and nail you on the aftermarket!

I have often wondered if there was some way to interface a Cricut to a computer but am not about to buy one just to fool around with then put it on the shelf. This is significantly more expensive at the outset, but from there the possibilities are limitless. (or so it seems)

ogopogo 12-27-2013 06:30 PM

Hey peter, touch base with micadley here on Rcc (John). he has been working with one of these cutters for R/C graphics for a while now. He also looked at cricut etc but noted you could only cut the patterns that you paid them for (if they had them).
cheers
john

micadley 12-27-2013 06:52 PM

When I first thought about this idea I used my wife's Cricut machine that she uses for scrapbooking. It sucks, was hard to use and forget about custom stuff. There was a software (3rd party) available but Cricut shut it down. I then went to a local craft store and saw the Cameo. The sales person demoed it for me and I ordered one. The software that is included is not to bad and allows you to trace any image that you can download. Not many software's allow you to do this. The blades are reasonable to replace and it works well. The max size of graphic is limited to 12 inches by 9 feet. I have tried many different brands of vinyl and some are better in this machine than others. Multi colour can be challenging but is doable. If your looking for a small dependable cutter this is it. As for vinyl pm me for info on where to get it reasonable and I will let you know. I say I like the ease of use and finished quality this cutter produces. If you get one you will be amazed at what it does.

Midair 12-29-2013 12:30 PM

Thanks guys for your input; its appreciated. Based on some of the responses I received on RCC and considerable research, I've decided to purchase the Silhouette Cameo. The product is available in Mississauga by mail order for $269.00, plus $30.00 shipping to North Bay, plus there are tons of You Tube tutorials for this product on the Net. I believe that it will do everything that need and then some. $300.00 isn't inexpensive, but having the ability to produce my own graphics has always interested me. This machine won't replace those R/C graphics that professionals produce and I will still turn to them for more complicated, including inked, graphics, but I'll be able to take care of simple stuff. Once I've had a chance to use it and become proficient with it, I may produce a short You Tube video geared specifically to modellers. Again, thanks for your responses. Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

Cheers,

Peter

Dennis 9412 12-29-2013 01:12 PM

Hi Peter,

They've got them at the Michael's store in Orillia for the same price. It's only 2 hours to North Bay from here so maybe shipping will be cheaper than from Mississauga.

Here's the info:

Michael's Store
95 Murphy Rd
ORILLIA, ON L3V 0B5
Phone: (705) 323-9850
Mon-Sat: 9:00am - 9:00pm
Sun: 10:00am - 7:00pm

Only a short drive from North Bay. C'mon down!!

Regards,

Dennis

kaptain 12-29-2013 06:41 PM

I have been using the Silhouette Cameo for about a year now. The machine works great. I have upgraded from the software provided to the Pro version and can import from other graphic apps. such as Inkscape.

The silhouette will cut down to very small sizes, I use it to cut vinyl and have cut monokote trim. Found a local supply house in Calgary and can buy ends of vinyl real cheap, don't plan to but trim sheet again

flycrazy = Darcy Creighton 12-30-2013 04:25 PM

hi i do vinyl graphics the little cutters suck reason be there realy no blade or presser ajustment u need a good cutter to do that witch i have if you want something done

Midair 12-30-2013 05:23 PM

Hello Flycrazy:

I completely understand and accept that these hobby cutters can't compete with professional systems, that's why I mentioned in a previous post that the Silouette will not replace the services that folks like you provide. However, I am interested in producing basic graphics for personal use, simply to satisfy my creative needs; I think it's kinda cool to make stuff :D. Thank you for your offer.

Peter

flycrazy = Darcy Creighton 12-30-2013 05:36 PM

ya but i am saying them mechines wont cut mono coat and ultra coat or even good vinyl it wil only cut cheap vinyl and first time you take your plane up it will rip off or when you put it on it wil be al bubbled no what i man even my cutter it took me like 2 hours to set it up to cut mono coat cause its so thin