RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   How to straighten out plywood, anyone? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=120194)

Pipercub 09 03-27-2011 08:54 AM

How to straighten out plywood, anyone?

I have a peice of plywood for taylorcaft im building and from sitting in the kit for soooo any years its warped any ideas on how to straighten it?

bobreib 03-27-2011 09:11 AM

Re: How to straighten out plywood, anyone?

I managed to fix a similar problem. I soaked the wood in the bathtub in warm water till it was quite wet. Then placed it between 2 pieces of pine and weighted it down with some books.
The pine eventually soaked up all the water and it dried straight .. Had to leave it overnight.

hifly2104 03-27-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipercub 09 (Post 813102)
I have a peice of plywood for taylorcaft im building and from sitting in the kit for soooo any years its warped any ideas on how to straighten it?

I would think if you could put a large weight on it sitting on a flat surface it might do the trick. It won't happen overnight though. How big a piece might be just easier to replace it

guyl 03-27-2011 09:14 AM

I heard once ammonia solution for bending and straightning
plywood also works very well.

Pipercub 09 03-27-2011 09:16 AM

Alrigh thanks guys i will try both of these

michel gravelle 03-27-2011 01:25 PM

Hi

Wet the concave side and add weights , with blocks on both ends .

Michel

stegl 03-27-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyl (Post 813108)
I heard once ammonia solution for bending and straightning
plywood also works very well.

You heard right. Ammonia does help soften wood fibres when wet. Should work, I believe.

Spitball 03-27-2011 07:41 PM

Ammonia does work but I would think that the ply is not waterproof so would be careful to not get it too saturated! Is it like Lite-ply?

Helno 03-27-2011 09:01 PM

I bought a bunch of balsa a while back and all of it was warped quite badly from storage. All I had to do was heat each piece over the steam coming off a kettle and then put books on top of the stack the next day they were all flat as can be.

I don't see why this should not work with light ply.

stegl 03-27-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helno (Post 813326)
I bought a bunch of balsa a while back and all of it was warped quite badly from storage. All I had to do was heat each piece over the steam coming off a kettle and then put books on top of the stack the next day they were all flat as can be.

I don't see why this should not work with light ply.

Sounds like another good idea ' probably better than water imersion for flywood .