RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   3.0m Badan Vertigo Build - Czech this out (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=302074)

TBrum 12-19-2014 02:42 PM

3.0m Badan Vertigo Build - Czech this out

I just want to start off by saying that Scott (Carlisler) is a very bad influence :biggrin::biggrin: He introduced a few of us to this Badan Vertigo project... and now we're hooked :rock:

Kit #1 Arrived yesterday which I will soon start!
Kit #2 (for Scott) and #3 (for John - Cravenjw) are being assembled as I type this. and should ship from the Czech in a couple weeks

Here is the link to the Badan Vertigo:
http://www.badan.cz/category/kits/vertigo-3m/

And here's the video of it:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

TBrum 12-19-2014 02:47 PM

Re: 3.0m Badan Vertigo Build - Influenced by Scott

If anyone wants to see speedy email response and awesome communication, Dan at Badan is top notch :rock::yo:

We bought the following for all 3 kits....

* Vertigo Kit (include CF wing and stab tubes)
* Wood Kit (includes balsa, pine stringers and brass tubing for pocket hinges)
* Graphics kit
* CF Landing Gear Option

Shipping was surprisingly very cheap and we ended up getting these kits landed here in GTA for a sweet, sweet price. All paid to Dan at Badan via PayPal with no hassles.

TBrum 12-19-2014 03:02 PM

Re: 3.0m Badan Vertigo Build - Czech this out

We asked Dan a few questions and here was his recent response! Very promising and I think very achievable to shave some weight out just on components alone!!

------------
Hi Trevor and Scott,
I will try to give you some answers:
- our vertigo with ZDZ180 is about 18,5 kg without fuel

- we always use JMB mufflers in each of our applications (2,2m, 2,6m, 3m models with gas power)

- I have 3 HV servos (24kg) on 1 aileron but it is not so good power. you have a possibility to insert 3-4 servos and I suggest torque of 30 kg, the aileron is really huge. Rudder - 3 servos of 24 kg is good
elevator - 2 servos of 24 kg is good- (as we have)... but itīs up to you, stronger servos than we have will be better

- pull-pull for rudder .. see the picture

- yes we use powerboxes (I have Power Expander 10EQ) and 2x 2S Lipo 5000 mAh (safe 6 starts each 10 min)

- the batteries we put into motorbox, forwards of fuselage, no additional lead is required for getting right CG

- CG is around the main wing tube - I suggest for maiden, then you can move

As for your Vertigo kits: we have almost prepared wooden parts (not all at this time), next week is starting to prepare polysyrene parts. waiting for next supply of CF tubes (they promised to be fast, about two weeks), because your friend Scott had the last one ..

I will inform you.

Regards
Dan

TBrum 12-19-2014 03:10 PM

LOL!!... Not sure if anyone has the patience to watch a 16min video, but here is last night's unboxing banterfest :):)

The box got pretty hammered up and bent the gear (no biggie, since Dan is sending us the CF gear option), but surprisingly no other damage.

About the only thing we can see we are missing is the phenolic for the wingtube which Dan will send in either Kit #2 or #3.

All the parts are of very high quality and the wood is almost Carden-Quality.... Very impressive considering the balsa/pine/brass tubing was only $155 extra :)

About the only area that needs a bit more improvement is the clear canopy - a few imperfections and forming issues, but Dan will straighten that out.

Jim (ScaleGuy) gave us quite a lecture that this plane is not based on anything scale so we keep threatening to fly it in IMAC, LOL.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Carlisler 12-19-2014 04:09 PM

Yeah Baby!!! Here we go!

Thanks to Dan for coming up with something NEW and different!

There has been lots of interesting items that make this an interesting concept/build. The stand-out items like the cowl design and cut-outs, Aileron shape, production quality of the demo video, are easy to assess.

A nice selling factor in this purchase was the ease and speed of communications with Dan. He is very personable, and answered emails almost any time of day. My purchase was completed very quickly from the first email sent.

This plane is gonna be TON of fun to build and fly!!

John and I have ours in the build queue.

All the schemes are KILLER, and these planes will standout on the flight line for sure!

Now, It's Xmas time and lots of things are being made of wood at this time of year...

So have fun with this build Trevor, I can't wait to see her come to life!

is the motor box done yet? :rofl:

TBrum 12-19-2014 05:42 PM

LOL! Not done yet!!

I have 4 days between Christmas and New Years where I might get started :TU:

bhughes 12-19-2014 06:05 PM

Challenge accepted . I will attemp the video lol

bhughes 12-19-2014 06:29 PM

Ok two guys in a basement with a camera and I hear" ohhhhhhhh that's a lot of wood "
Lolol Now that's funny

superflies 12-19-2014 07:05 PM

I watched the video aswell, and fantastic, this looks to be one to each for, and all I can say is poor Jim! Lmao!!

TBrum 12-19-2014 07:12 PM

LOL! Ya.. We were pretty excited! Wood is good :)

I think Jim will be excited to have gotten multiple mentions, LOL.