RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   ARF / ARC Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Aeroplus 30cc Sbach build (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=324442)

coastrc 03-08-2015 10:36 PM

Aeroplus 30cc Sbach build

4 Attachment(s)
Traded a 550Raptor for my first Gas powered plane last year a Phoenix model MXS-R.

The plan was to fly it til I crashed (which I almost did last flight)

Anyhow this air frame was plenty used & abused, & I was itching to buy a new shiny one to transfer over the sweet running Mintor38. :)

Heard good things about Aeroplus, & I love the look of the Sbach, so I grabbed the last one that Pro-Rc had in the sheme I like. :biggrin:

(I also have a 50cc Edge build going, but it's on hold waiting for an engine)

coastrc 03-08-2015 10:46 PM

Re: Aeroplus 30cc Sbach build

4 Attachment(s)
Started with getting the motor mounted, using the existing mount. Figured you drill on these lines to get the motor centered.

coastrc 03-08-2015 10:53 PM

6 Attachment(s)
This 30cc model is quite a bit smaller than the MXS-R. I took the stand-offs to my buddy @ the machine shop to get 1/4' taken off.

Took the dremel to the cowl so I could check the fit & centering of the engine.

Didn't work out very good...:confused:

coastrc 03-08-2015 11:12 PM

6 Attachment(s)
This time I only drilled one hole, then tested the centering until I was happy. Then I epoxied in the holes I wasn't using & added an extra piece of backing (since I got extra with the kit) then laminated some pieces for the top bolt.

Not perfect, but hopefully will work fine.

coastrc 03-08-2015 11:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the rear stabilizer glued as well as rudder & elevator.

I learned that I prefer a model that a has a spar & the horizontal stab is then bolted on. gluing it in is a bit of a PIA to get it perfect, & then you can't remove it for storage or transport.

The instructions tell you to glue the stab in first, but then you can't get the drill in properly for mounting the servos. Glad I mounted the servos first. :)

coastrc 03-08-2015 11:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For the rudder servo you have to drill the aft holes at an angle.....:confused:

coastrc 03-08-2015 11:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Since the MXS-R had a rear exit canister I glued a piece of ply in so I could use the same exhaust.

Midair 03-09-2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastrc (Post 2274250)
For the rudder servo you have to drill the aft holes at an angle.....:confused:

To predrill servo screw mounting holes, I normally use a handheld pin vice drill. More control, less chance of wandering and, in tight places like this, you shouldn't have any probs drilling a vertical hole. Pins vices are dirt cheap. You may want to consider this little tool in your tool arsenal :)

Peter

coastrc 03-09-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midair (Post 2274818)
To predrill servo screw mounting holes, I normally use a handheld pin vice drill. More control, less chance of wandering and, in tight places like this, you shouldn't have any probs drilling a vertical hole. Pins vices are dirt cheap. You may want to consider this little tool in your tool arsenal :)

Peter

Thanks, I figured there would be some kind of hand tool that would do the job. Wouldn't find anything like that in this little town I'm sure, but I'll look for one on-line.

Dale Hunter 03-09-2015 01:17 PM

In the past, I have used a long piece of music wire. Size to suit, and a "bad" cut or break is all it takes to drill a pilot hole.
Hope this helps.
-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3