RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Engines (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Fly with no muffler? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=77562)

Colindsm 07-22-2008 10:39 PM

Fly with no muffler?

I know this is a newbie question. But I'm new....I crashed my Raptor, and now have a Nexstar. Everything seemed to survive the crash but the plane and my muffler. Its an Evolution Trainer motor. Can I use it without the muffler. Do I need to have the fuel vent line going into the muffler, or can I fly without it, until I get one in the near future. Problem is, it seems they ship up from the states, and I want to fly this weekend, but wouldnt get the muffler here in time.

Colin

mtnflyer 07-22-2008 11:01 PM

Re: Fly with no muffler?

The engine will certainly run without the muffler, and the back-pressure to you tank is certainly nice, but, not entirely necessary.

The worst would be the noise; as in the old day's when we did not use mufflers. I think you would probably be whipped by mother's with small children, and perhaps be visited by the local by-law officer.

My advice to you; visit your LHS and see if you can pick-up an after market of some type.

chuebner 07-22-2008 11:04 PM

Well, first off, it does not surprise me that the Raptor is done if it was your first plane. Very hard plane for a newbe to maiden and learn on successfully. Mine still gives me the Willies:shock:!! Great choice for a high wing trainer in the NexSTAR. It was a my first plane, and still is, one of my all time favorites to fly. Mine has been modified from to a taildragger and the dihedryl removed from the wing (DragSTAR)
As far as flying without the muffler--- good luck. You need the muffler to pressurize the fuel tank in order to force the fuel to the motor. It won't be flyable without it(only if the tank is kept full). Is there anyone close by that could lend you a muffler?

Curt

aceplant00 07-23-2008 04:41 AM

I had the same thought. I have a few evolution mufflers here. Wouldn't be by the weekend that you would get it though. It is possible.

voyager_663rd 07-23-2008 06:47 AM

It will fly. But undoubtedly the noise will prevent you from flying :(

Ed Smith 07-23-2008 07:13 AM

It is unlikely the engine will idle properly without the muffler.

Ed S

chuebner 07-23-2008 07:49 AM

Like has been stated, the motor will run at higher throttle but will likely die when throttled back for landing and when the fuel level drops. Not a good thing for someone learning to fly. I have had mufflers come loose and when throttling back they usually die.

Curt

benjhind 07-23-2008 07:41 PM

Not to contradict anyone, I have actually had the opposite experience with some of my engines. Remove the pressure line, and they will idle, but die at full throttle.

Test it out. If you want to be sure, get another muffler before your next flight ;)

TLyttle 07-23-2008 09:24 PM

I can't guarantee it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that would be your last flight at that field. Nothing rids a community of model airplanes faster than an unmuffled engine!

moo 07-23-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuebner (Post 540163)
I have had mufflers come loose and when throttling back they usually die.

Because the needle is set for pressurized fuel?