RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Car & Truck discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Hi guys - brand newbie here - need some help (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=163086)

Deezy 04-08-2007 03:04 PM

Hi guys - brand newbie here - need some help

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to the world of R/C. I wanted to get into planes and have decided that i should start with a car as i have owned several of those cheap electrics you can buy at Radio Shack as a kid. As i'm sure you all have as well. Well i'm an overgrown kid now and decided to take up a new hobby and jump into the real deal.

I have made up my mind in terms of what class of vehicle i want and it is a 4WD Truggy. I realize that within this category there are different ways to go. Here's where i need some direction.

1/8th or 1/10th??

I may want to go racing later (depending on my skills) and so i'm leaning to the 1/10 but the 1/8 seem to be popular as well. What questions do i need to ask myself in order to make this decision?

Thanks, BTW awesome site! I have read alot of good info so far.

D.

pirateguy 04-08-2007 03:09 PM

the jammin crt is a top contender...and an easy truck to learn on...that would be my choice

Stampeder21 04-08-2007 03:29 PM

yea man, the crt is a sweeeeeeeeeet truck, but if you dont have that kinda cash, look at the kyosho inferno truggy, i believe it has a gxr .28 in the rtr setup. not shur, check out hobbyhobby.com

imported_BLAZE 04-08-2007 04:26 PM

yup your right it has a 28 engine in it. both great cars. but crt is better. expesialy with a rb.

imported_k1e1v1i1n 04-08-2007 04:34 PM

there isnt really a 1/10 truggy . but ya 1/8 is the way to go i also reccommend the kyosho rtr truggy it comes with just about everything u need to get going and its super cheep .

Dom29 04-08-2007 05:31 PM

Ofna has a 1/12 truggy.. the CRT .5 .

Deezy 04-08-2007 05:36 PM

Keep in mind, i'm no pro so i would like to keep it under $500 for my first truck.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. In fact i would prefer to build it as that's part of the "hobby" but what is the price difference between an RTR or picking up a roller and building it with better parts?

jatofan69 04-08-2007 05:49 PM

Most truggies are around $500 +. You could always buy used and work from there. Everytime you get some extra money, put it into your truck and soon you will be competitve.

nitro-mechanic 04-08-2007 05:50 PM

Mugen makes an AWESOME truggy, but it also comes with a pretty steep price tag. I tend to agree with the guys saying to go with the Jammin CRT by OFNA. It comes in both RTR and kit form. The RTR version is pretty good outta the box, but still needs a few hop-up parts to get it to reall perform. You mentioned that you would like to build your truggy, so obviously you would want the kit version. As with all manufacturers, their kit versions come with most of the hop-ups, but don't include a radio or engine. This gives you an almost endless choice of engine and radio combinations. In the end the kit versions almost always end up costing more money since people install some pretty high end stuff into them, but it's all worth it.:D

jatofan69 04-08-2007 06:01 PM

Keep in mind, a lot of kits don't even come with tires let alone a body. You may put in more money than you expected just to get your truck moving. Even if you want to build the kit, If you get an RTR you will strip it down and build it up 1000 times, so inturn, it may be the gratification you are looking for and a much more affordable price.

Since you are new and if you do get a kit, choose your motor well. Some motors are a *** to tune and others are easy as pie. It tends to be the higher end motors(NovaRossi) that you have to basically be an expert to get them to preform the way you want them too.