RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Electronics (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   New Spectrum TX ? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=189593)

Fly North 11-24-2012 10:14 AM

New Spectrum TX ?

OK so I am looking for a new TX that has more capability than the Spectrum TX4 that came with my my Hobby Zone Super Cub. I will still be using the Super cub , Mini Vapor ,building the Sig Cloud Ranger and I have a U-Can-D0 3D 60 bare airframe that I hope to get together by the end of next summer plus what ever comes between ;).
I have been looking at this package and although I have been reading lots on it I wonder what others think about it? Or should I be looking at other makes ? I am up for any suggestions and thoughts.
Thanks
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM7800

uberjay 11-24-2012 10:19 AM

Re: New Spectrum TX ?

The 7s is a great Tx... I have one and it's been rock solid.

I only have a couple beefs with it:
- no backlight ... like any LCD it's sometimes hard to see (for me anyway)
- 2 position D/R switches
- 2 position F-Mode switch

There are other things that the DX8 has that the 7s doesn't (like throttle curve for fixed wing), but based on the planes you listed the 7s is a good bet and will last a long time.... with a 20 model memory (+ SD card) you won't run out of room for your hangar as it grows.

Cheers,
J

Fly North 11-24-2012 10:32 AM

Thanks for the information :TU: do you think it would be worth the price difference to move up to the eight now ? It is about $50.00 but did not come with the RX . The three extra recievers are what got my attention on the TX7.

uberjay 11-24-2012 10:42 AM

If you need the receivers I'd say go for it.

If you don't then the $50 is worth it (for me) to have the backlight and other features. (I actually have both the DX7s and the DX8 - one's for me and one's for my kids ;-) ).

J

Fly North 11-24-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uberjay (Post 1289713)
If you need the receivers I'd say go for it.

If you don't then the $50 is worth it (for me) to have the backlight and other features. (I actually have both the DX7s and the DX8 - one's for me and one's for my kids ;-) ).

J

Thanks
I like the idea of the back light as under low light situations my eyes play tricks :confused:
The only part I am confused on is on the Hobby Hobby site it says the DX8 is only MD2?
http://hobbyhobby.com/store/category...rum/page2.html

uberjay 11-24-2012 11:04 AM

MD2 == Mode 2 == throttle on the left

Normal in otherwords.

I think the DX8 can be swapped from Mode 2 to Mode 1 simply by adjusting a menu option and adjusting some screws through (covered) holes on the back.

Best thing to do is go in and ask to see them side-by-side. If you're lucky they'll let you turn the Tx's on. If not, find someone who's got one and play with the menus, etc.

The 8 is worth the extra $50 if you're like me and fly most of your (cheaper) models on OrangeRx receivers ;-).

J

Max 11-24-2012 02:14 PM

I would always recommend the DX8 if the person can afford it.

If not the DX7 is fine. Especially if you want the 3 receivers.

uberjay 11-24-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max (Post 1289765)
I would always recommend the DX8 if the person can afford it.

If not the DX7 is fine. Especially if you want the 3 receivers.

Hey Max... not sure what you meant. "DX" ... both the radios in question are DX series... DX8 and DX7s which are both the newer style with the roller on the right, SD card, etc.

Just curious.... yeah. The DX7 (older style) is fine too, but it has 3 position switches unlike the DX7s. Though it doesn't have the SD card.

Cheers,
J

Max 11-24-2012 02:52 PM

Whoops... Should have said DX8.

I fixed my post and my quote in yours :)

uberjay 11-24-2012 03:00 PM

Thanks... I knew something was missing there ;-).

My only beef with the DX8 so far is that I had what seems to be a bad potentiometer on the aileron channel.

I could see it when I went in to set the DR/Expo settings or on the monitor option. The values and/or curve for the aileron would fluctuate randomly with no stick movements.

I have it in to Horizon for service now... should be an easy fix.

Here's a video of it in case you're interested:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

So, that said, DO go get the DX8 if you can, but before you walk out of the store DO check the channels on it. Mine did this a little bit from the beginning, but it got worse over the 6 months I've had it. So.... just a heads up.

I still highly recommend the 8 as Max does.... just check the unit before you buy it is all.

Cheers,
J