RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Engines (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Gasoline four stroke conversions (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=194393)

John M. 03-03-2013 10:18 AM

Gasoline four stroke conversions

Has anyone converted one of the Honda (or equivalent) mini four strokes into an aircraft powerplant? Where did you get the engine? What was the weight after conversion?

They are becoming very common and for a "tinkerer" look intriguing for a sport type model that needs a lot of nose weight anyways.

itizme 03-03-2013 11:22 AM

Re: Gasoline four stroke conversions

There is someone in Barrie that has one of them on a little 25% Cap 231 or 232, never saw it run or even in person but I hope he was able to finish it off with the cowl I sold him.

If your reading this, post a pic please, and answer the motor questions please.

John M. 03-03-2013 11:34 AM

Thanks Steve, these may work well in the short nose WWI aircraft and I'm willing to try it out.

tallone66 03-03-2013 11:50 AM

I am thinking that it would pose some unique challenges.
Weight would be one issue, then come oiling. I believe these are a splash oil system, and in a aircraft that would be in several different attitueds during flight, that might be a problem. Now if they use a pressure system to oil, then another problem comes with uncovering the oil pickup when inverted ect.... Possible answer would be dry sump oiling, but again added weight of an oil resivoir plus the pumping system. If they could be run on a premix without burning up, then it could be viable.

My .02 worth
Derrick

JimmyB 03-03-2013 12:22 PM

The Honda mini 4-strokes are designed for 360 deg operation,so going inverted etc. should not be a problem,you could also check out the Shindaiwa Hybrid 4,these are a 4-stroke design running on a 2-stroke mix fuel,no sump,a little lighter.I have dealt with both at work on garden equipment,good little engines.They are both a little heavier compared to the 2-strokes,but quiet and cleaner burning.
You might be able to buy either as a power head(motor) only,no shaft, weedeater head etc.I know some manufacturers sell this way.
There is also one from Stihl and Makita,I believe most manufactures are trying to develope them .There are backpack blowers also,even trying to do chainsaws.

John M. 03-03-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks guys, some good tips here.

itizme 03-03-2013 06:37 PM

I remember the gent telling me that the plane belonged to someone else that worked for Honda and perhaps it was a gift to the original owner. Wish I could remember who..

RAMJET 03-03-2013 06:47 PM

I have a brand new Honda gx power head that I was going to convert for a 1/3 scale cub but I ended up selling the plane . anyone interested make a offer. Roger

John M. 03-03-2013 10:16 PM

I will keep it in mind Roger, still doing my research.

Is there a link to the power head that you have and is it new or used?

RAMJET 03-04-2013 01:52 AM

it's brand new .I noticed it had a tiny bit of residue in the exhaust port when I opened the box ,must have been started at the factory.anyway it's a Honda gx22 made in japan.Roger