RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Beginners / Newbies (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   This Newbie's Fleet! (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=333634)

Hercplt 04-12-2015 06:13 PM

This Newbie's Fleet!

6 Attachment(s)
New to the forum, and to RC Flying. I've been flying larger scale planes (like 155,000lbs size :) )... So I just wanted to say hi and post a few pics of the fleet I've acquired over the winter... gonna get flying this spring I hope...

Alpha 40 - recovered the fuselage... other wise in nice condition. Got it cheap too!

Easy sport - flyable, but an older build from a kit. Even cheaper than the Alpha!

Both have Spektrum 2.4ghz electronics...

Finally the Super Sportster - was free!! Just needs to be finished. Started covering the wings this weekend.

Enjoy the pics!!

Rich
-in Ottawa-

bbbair 04-12-2015 06:31 PM

Re: This Newbie's Fleet!

Hey Rich!

Welcome to the Addiction! :biggrin: :TU:

You have the makings of a fine fleet there - well done! :TU:

As a full scale pilot you are going to feel - confused... by not being inside of the AC. But! you'll get over it. ;)

After that you'll be just as crazy as the rest of us! :itsok_170:

Good Stuff!

So - have you flown RC yet or just in the training stage? :confused:

Hercplt 04-12-2015 07:19 PM

Its something that I've always wanted to do as a kid, but never got around to it. I build a few balsa planes that never flew... but that was it.
Last summer on a whim I bought the Alpha used.... started tinkering with it, and reading on the interweb about rc planes... youtube is a great teacher!!

Just something to occupy my mind, and eventually I'll fly em.

Never flown one... but theres no better teacher than trial and error. Should be fun, and challenging I'm sure!

HAL9KPCM 04-12-2015 07:35 PM

You'll be hooked on your first flight LOL.

chuebner 04-12-2015 07:51 PM

Be careful....they seem to breed and multiply faster than rabbits...lol

Wish you were closer, I could probably add a couple more to your fleet. :icon_peace:

Skidoo55 04-12-2015 08:44 PM

Hey Herc, how about some pics of the 155000 pounder?

That would be cool!

bbbair 04-13-2015 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercplt (Post 2329610)
... Never flown one... but theres no better teacher than trial and error. Should be fun, and challenging I'm sure!

On THAT point I will have to disagree with you. :TD:

Trial and error usually ends up with broken airplanes and frayed nerves. :r_c:

Find a local club, meet the instructors and get them to help you get started.
There are a million small details in this hobby that all add up to a good flight, you don't have a Flight Engineer and Ground Crew to prep and start the plane for you - you have to do it all yourself now. ;)

I have seen a number of Retired pilots try and fail at RC - they have a hard time because they are not 'IN' the plane 'FEELING' how it is reacting... :confused:

This is a whole new experience - you have to work at it. :hammerhead:

Happy Landings.

Hercplt 04-13-2015 11:02 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidoo55 (Post 2329794)
Hey Herc, how about some pics of the 155000 pounder?

That would be cool!

As requested!! (ok... so clearly the Cub is pretty light... but thats what I learned on, and still fly...)

Cheers.

Boatcrazy 04-13-2015 11:08 AM

Nice,
My Father was a flight engineer on the C-130 at 435 Squadron for many years.

Skidoo55 04-13-2015 03:08 PM

Yup, I was right... that IS cool!

Is that the actual aircraft that you flew?