RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   MAAC (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Brad Egan for Zone L Director (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=144556)

Kargon 08-05-2012 07:28 PM

Brad Egan for Zone L Director

I am proud to announce to all Zone L MAAC members that Brad Egan will be actively seeking your support to become the new ZD at the AZM on Oct 6th 2012.

Please send your proxy to Brad or with a member of your club to support Brad at the AZM. We will need 2/3 majority to remove the current ZD from his position.

The time for change is now.

itizme 08-05-2012 08:27 PM

Re: Brad Egan for Zone L Director

Brad

We look forward to your direction and assistance in maintaining this hobby we hold so close to the heart.

Cheers
Steve

flysrcs 08-05-2012 08:27 PM

Brad will be getting vote...

D.

bartman 08-05-2012 09:01 PM

Mine as well.

Sharpy01 08-05-2012 10:45 PM

Go get em.

Any bio available on mr Egan?

I know the majority of ZD 's would smile quietly at the prospect of an added positive and respected modeler to help grease the wheels and move the organization into the present century.

;)

Bdegan 08-06-2012 08:26 AM

Hello everyone,

I am Brad Egan, MAAC # 48597. I got my first introduction to the hobby 32 yrs ago in New Brunswick.
It was the father of this cute girl I was dating at the time that was in the hobby and showed me his basement workshop and planes. I was hooked LOL
Needless to say I ended up spending more time with the girls father working on and building planes than with her….. I went with him quite often to field to watch him fly.
He let me try a couple times, but there were no buddy boxes. So I never did learn to fly with him.
I ordered my first kit, A SIG Kadet MkII. He suggested that kit since it had ailerons. I built it over the winter, but the plane never flew. I turned 16 and got my drivers liscence LOL.
About 10 yrs later after I was married I got into RC cars. Did that for a year or 2, but it wasn’t what I wanted to do. Planes were calling me. I was in Ontario then and purchased a Great Planes kit called a Trainer 60 with a K&B .61. I bought it from Tom at Hobby Hobby in Streetsville. I built that kit on my dining room table since my wife and I only had a small apartment in Mississauga. I tried to join the Mississauga club. I couldn’t get in at the time because there was actually a waiting list.
I came across this small hobby shop on Lakeshore owned by a gentleman named John. I wish I could remember his last name. The store was on the south side of Lakeshore between 10 and Cawthra, closer to 10. If anyone remembers him, please let me know.

Anyway, He said he and a bunch of others had a small field in Oakville south of lakeshore and west Winston Churchill. Near the old Alcan plant. John taught me to fly.
No buddy box. I also learned some really cool wrestling moves as he would grab the radio from when I would loose control. I flew for another year with them and also joined a club that used to be at the north end of the 427, before the 407 went through.

Shortly after, my wife was pregnant with our and we decided to move back to New Brunswick. I joined the Grand Falls Model flying club. I was back flying with the gentleman who had introduced to RC Planes many years before. I became the club president a couple years later. Basically it was my turn. We were a small group and everyone took a turn. Then after the kids came along and starting my own business, I got out of the hobby for several years.
I got into cycling and cofounded the Grand Falls cycling club. I then got into Mountain Bike racing. Then became a race organizer of one of the 10 races on the New Brunswick circuit. I was then asked to join Velo New Brunswick, the sanction body of Cycling in New Brunswick. I sat on the BOD for 2 yrs.
Shortly after, the economy out east got really bad. We packed up and moved back to Ontario. I decided to try RC cars again. I thought it might be easier and fun to with my 7 yr old son. It was, we had fun. We went to races met a lot of good people. My son Noah even ended up cohosting a few episodes of RCTV during their second season. But we grew tired of the cars pretty quick and planes started calling again. I got looking around and found the Aurora Model Aircraft Club. We joined there late in the season and started flying again with a small electric. The following summer I was back into glow models. Then I was asked to become an instructor the following year. The year after that I became club Vice President, then President. I was also the organizer of the Aurora swapmeet for 2010 and 2011.
I have spent the past few winters building giant scale planes, and the summers traveling around to different events in different cities and zones. I have had the chance to meet and fly with a lot of people in the last 2 yrs. I am having a blast with this hobby and would like to give back to it with some of my time.

Thanks

Brad

Sorry, It was so long

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Sharpy01 08-06-2012 07:32 PM

Good stuff Brad.

Good luck. If you are successful, you may be surprised by some of the politics.

Advise for what it's worth ;

- bring some good and trusted ZD'S along for the ride

- start eying up a good replacement right away because it will likely take two or three terms to put the vindictive politics to rest.

- start collecting proxies for you or your replacement early before the next go around because politicians don't give up easily regardless of how many positive things you may accomplish

- finally, don't let the politics take the fun out of the hobby.

Cheers.

bradleyban 08-07-2012 09:25 PM

WOOT! Go BRAD!!!

Michael in Toronto 08-08-2012 11:51 AM

I have a few questions for Brad.

Hi Brad.

I am trying to decide whether or not to get involved in this issue and whether or not I should support you in this endeavor.

I would like to know the following, keeping in mind that this is all within the framework of the model airplane hobby, or in essence, grown men flying toy airplanes:

1. If there was, hypothetically, a dispute between 2 friendly RC clubs over the use of membership information, would you threaten and pursue police action in order to get your way?

2. If there was, hypothetically, an RC club executive board that removed you from a position on that executive board, essentially because they didn't want to work with you, would you bring a lawsuit against that executive because you felt your human rights were violated by excluding you from the process?

3. If there was, hypothetically, an RC club that removed you from a function-position in that club, for an unknown reason, would you threaten and then go to the Ontario Human Rights Commission to make a formal complaint based on a frivolously perceived slight?

I ask these questions simply because I want to know how you would operate in a position of leadership.

I would be pleased if you simply answered each question with the word "No".

ken park 08-08-2012 12:09 PM

Michael please stop RC Canada is not for trolling or a place for those trying to vent ill feelings etc.

As a member of Zone G I will give Brad my hearty best wishes on winning the Zone Directors job! Please refrane using RC Canada for this. Please let your votes do your talking be silent and vote according to your wishes its your right because the rest of Canada really does not want to read pages upon pages of this stuff! What happens in your zone is your business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto (Post 974417)
I have a few questions for Brad.

Hi Brad.

I am trying to decide whether or not to get involved in this issue and whether or not I should support you in this endeavor.

I would like to know the following, keeping in mind that this is all within the framework of the model airplane hobby, or in essence, grown men flying toy airplanes:

1. If there was, hypothetically, a dispute between 2 friendly RC clubs over the use of membership information, would you threaten and pursue police action in order to get your way?

2. If there was, hypothetically, an RC club executive board that removed you from a position on that executive board, essentially because they didn't want to work with you, would you bring a lawsuit against that executive because you felt your human rights were violated by excluding you from the process?

3. If there was, hypothetically, an RC club that removed you from a function-position in that club, for an unknown reason, would you threaten and then go to the Ontario Human Rights Commission to make a formal complaint based on a frivolously perceived slight?

I ask these questions simply because I want to know how you would operate in a position of leadership.

I would be pleased if you simply answered each question with the word "No".