RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Precision Aerobatics (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   "Vintage" Italian pattern plane -Jollyplane - test (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=35343)

AJCoholic 07-04-2003 09:33 AM

"Vintage" Italian pattern plane -Jollyplane - test

200 Attachment(s)
I bought a nice kit (fibreglass fuse/fin, presheeted faom wings and tail) off of a fellow in North Bay this past winter. Its an older Italian kit called the Jollyplane... kinda' weird name but hey.. :)

I am currently getting it built, I have a nice early 80's Rossi 61 rear exhaust pattern engine with tuned pipe for it (I have run it since new in another pattern plane) and also have some Rhom air rectracts that are going in it.

Allthough the 60 size ships are long since been "outdated" I am anticipating this will make a super sport flyer, and will hopefully improve my flying again. Everyone should have at least one pattern plane, right? ;)

If anyone has more info on this particular kit I would like to hear about it...

Will post some pics as it progresses... hopefully will be ready to test fly at the end of the month!

Guest 07-04-2003 09:49 AM

Outdated?? Naw, the only thing that really outdated (at least in the lower classes) the only rocket speed pattern planes were a few invisible lines known as the "Box" :)

A loop is a loop and a roll is a roll, flown in the 60's or in the 21st century they are still the same manuvers, if you can keep that thing in the box long enough to fly the manuvers I am sure you can do well with it.

I watched a guy win Advanced in 2000 at the Vancouver Nats with a 60 sized pattern plane, it was funny cause he smoked a bunch of guys with their fancy 2 meter models :) Proved the point that its how many empty gallons of fuel you have at the end of the day that decides how well you will do :) You should hit a contest with it if you are close to one, you will have a blast :)

As for any info on the plane, I am child of the YS and 2 meter era, that plane was waaaaayyyyy before my time :)

Anyways post some pictures of the plane as you go, it is always neat to see the vintage stuff :)

Cecil Marshall 07-04-2003 11:58 AM

Hey Andrew:
I have a NIB "Phoenix 8" of Don Lowe fame sitting here ready to be built.. Webra Speed 61, rear ehaust,Dynamix carb, Mac tuned "quiet pipe", Rhom Air retracts,aluminum spinner......Aah the "good 'ole days"....

I'll build it this winter and bring it to the "Tarmac Fun Fly" next year....
Aah another "nastalgia trip" in the making.......

Cecil :wink:

ronm 07-04-2003 01:55 PM

Andrew: You think yours is old!!! :shock:
I too have a pattern plane that I will someday re-furbish. Your Italian Job is state-of-the-art compared to mine. :oops:

Mine has a glass fuse, sheeted, glassed foam wing. It has "Aerostar" written inside, and the date "1971". I don't know if that was the date it was built, or the date it was retired! .60 size of coarse. I'm expecting it will be a blast to fly, too!

Ronm

Guest 07-04-2003 04:11 PM

You guys should start up some SPA (senior pattern association) contests :)

Put up some pics of these planes :) I saw some old pictures back in '85 at the Worlds, I though those planes looked pretty funny, ones from the early 70's should be really neat to see.

AJCoholic 07-04-2003 04:43 PM

200 Attachment(s)
here is a shot of the fuse:

AJCoholic 07-04-2003 04:43 PM

200 Attachment(s)
and here is the wing and stab held against the fuse.

Guest 07-04-2003 10:06 PM

Holy wing thickness Batman!!!

Is that just an optical illusion or is the wing really that thick? Anyways that baby looks like a widebody by comparison with the 60 size pattern models of the 80's. I bet it flies awesome.

The way they router out the aileron cutouts etc, is EXACTLY the way a kit from ZN Line comes.......30 years later and the wings are still built the same way, talk about progress :)

AJCoholic 07-05-2003 08:19 AM

200 Attachment(s)
Chad (hahha) what you are looking at is the wingtip, cut on a 45 degree angle so NO the wing isnt that thick... :)

The wing does have a nice thick airfoil though, probably about 1 1/2 inches thick at the thickest point.

Guest 07-07-2003 02:56 PM

Oh good, I was thinking that you would need a 140DZ to pull a wing that thick :)

I am curious how the 45 slanted wing tips work out, its not a common thing today at all. Most of the tips are swept outward from LE to TE and either rounded or flat.

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but is the stab airfoiled or flat?