RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Great Hobbies (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Another price hike Really? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=394442)

Boatcrazy 12-19-2015 09:41 AM

Another price hike Really?

Ok I get the CDN dollar took another hit this week but come on GH.
Seem you hike your price at every opportunity.
I was going down there today to pick up a Futaba 14SG $539 I think on clear out.
Get ready to head out check the site just to make sure they still have one a WOW over $800 today.
And everything else 10-15% hike.
Is it a bit of sour grapes because I didn't get down to GH in time to get the good deal on the 14SG sure it is.
This type of thing has been discussed a few times here before and I do understand the business side of this but I just think its a bit excessive especially with the economy in the state its in.
I have always been a defender of GH when someone post about bad service but I not on there side this time.
I think they just lost my business for good this time.

Max 12-19-2015 09:56 AM

Re: Another price hike Really?

You cant really blame a Canadian Hobby shop that has to purchase thier product from the US to sell to local hobbyists. They have no control what happens to the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar.

We are seeing that hit everywhere. Even if you mail order from USA or abroad, almost everyone lists their prices in US dollars, we we all take the hit whether you like it or not.

Can't really offer a good solution other than to either take the hit or learn live lean until the Canadian dollar come back up again. If it does.. :(

HAL9KPCM 12-19-2015 10:04 AM

You could always look at a place like RC Japan. You can get the 14SG delivered for about $600. Keeping in mind the risks of requiring warranty, you may have to send back to Japan. The manual provided will also be Japanese, but you can download the English version.

Jimmy P 12-19-2015 01:59 PM

I checked that site out but all there prices are in Japanese so you don't even know what the price is.

Jimmy P 12-19-2015 02:02 PM

Derek you are not alone, the hobby is going to suffer even more, we cannot afford to keep up period let alone buy hobby stuff. I have already begun to sell off my stuff due to I could not afford to fix it at these prices anymore.

HAL9KPCM 12-19-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy P (Post 2680362)
I checked that site out but all there prices are in Japanese so you don't even know what the price is.

XE.com and convert from JPY to CAD. 100 Yen is about $1.15 Canadian.

marcham 12-19-2015 04:30 PM

57 Attachment(s)
Are you sure about cad 539?maybe you read it wrong? It's still usd600 everywhere else.

For that kind of money though I'd seriously consider a Taranis x9e or another OpenTx transmitter.

Lazy Ace 12-19-2015 05:19 PM

The fun part for Great Hobbies is they may have bought this stock when the dollar was better and every time the Canadian dollar takes a hit they can bump the price. Even though they didn't buy it at the new exchange rate you will pay the new exchange rate. Gas companies do it to you every day. The retailers in Canada have been doing this for years. When I can buy the same item over the counter at a US hobby shop, pay their taxes, pay the exchange and our taxes and still save a $100 bucks I know the Canadian retailer is taking advantage. 99% of my stuff is all purchased in the US. Today for instance I needed new 3.5 floppies for my CNC (its older than some of you) he he he. Amazon.ca cheapest in Canada 21 bucks plus delivery after Christmas. Amazon.com 12 bucks free delivery two days guess where I bought them from. Last time I was in a Canadian Hobby shop I needed some foam safe CA to finish an indoor project. The 1/2 oz of CA was as much as the 2 oz in the US. I bought it to finish the job but I don't go there unless I really get stuck.

Dennis

Boatcrazy 12-19-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy Ace (Post 2680586)
The fun part for Great Hobbies is they may have bought this stock when the dollar was better and every time the Canadian dollar takes a hit they can bump the price. Even though they didn't buy it at the new exchange rate you will pay the new exchange rate. Gas companies do it to you every day. The retailers in Canada have been doing this for years. When I can buy the same item over the counter at a US hobby shop, pay their taxes, pay the exchange and our taxes and still save a $100 bucks I know the Canadian retailer is taking advantage. 99% of my stuff is all purchased in the US. Today for instance I needed new 3.5 floppies for my CNC (its older than some of you) he he he. Amazon.ca cheapest in Canada 21 bucks plus delivery after Christmas. Amazon.com 12 bucks free delivery two days guess where I bought them from. Last time I was in a Canadian Hobby shop I needed some foam safe CA to finish an indoor project. The 1/2 oz of CA was as much as the 2 oz in the US. I bought it to finish the job but I don't go there unless I really get stuck.

Dennis

I agree 100% with you Dennis.
I have tried to support LHS but its getting to the point they are making it not affordable.
There are a lot of other options,
You where talking about Amazon.ca they had Futaba on sale last week could have picked up a 10JA transmitter for $300 yup you read that correct.
Wish I would have grab one.
GH wants $489 for the same transmitter.

Boatcrazy 12-19-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcham (Post 2680506)
Are you sure about cad 539?maybe you read it wrong? It's still usd600 everywhere else.

For that kind of money though I'd seriously consider a Taranis x9e or another OpenTx transmitter.

Yes it was advertised last week for $539 up until I guess this morning the price changed
I do have a Taranis.
Wanted to try something with more straight forward programing as the Taranis give me a headache sometimes LOL