RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Scale Aerobatics (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   what would you recommend for an IMAC plane (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=42057)

stuntbuddie 08-10-2004 08:56 PM

what would you recommend for an IMAC plane

just curious as to what people are flying IMAC with

ronm 08-10-2004 09:34 PM

A lot depends on your budget and your current skill level.
Also, do you want to build something, or buy a built or maybe an ARF?

If you can answer these questions, we can narrow it down, and help you out!

craigk 08-10-2004 10:02 PM

IMAC

WELLLLLLL :P
after embarrassing myself a bit at the NOIC with my 66" Extra and an ASP 1.08, next year I will have at least a GP Wagstaff Extra or Sig Extra 300, at least a ZDZ 40 (or if the gods will a DA 50) with my trusty JR 783 and at least hitec hs5645 digital servos on the elevator and ailerons - haven't figured out hte rudder servo yet. :D :D
will have redundant batteries/switches for airborne

at least that's my plan

or maybe put a Saito 150 on my Vector flight Extra :roll:

scaleguy 08-11-2004 06:20 AM

Don't let Craig fool yah he hardly embarrassed himself.

If you are planning on entering Basic and not sure if you are really interested in IMAC or just want to give it a go... you can fly anything.

A word of caution though the smaller the airplane the faster it flies and you won't have as much time to fly between maneuvers... it's going so fast.

You want something that is relatively light but won't be pushed around too much in the wind, (always seems to be windy come contest day :wink:). Good power to weight ratio so you can get some decent hight on the vertical maneuvers like Hammerhead, Humptybump and Immelmans.

Like ronm said it depends on your budget and skill level. I had a CG Extra that was 69" with an OS 1.08 int it that should have been able to make me fairly competitive, however I smacked it up before the season started and I am currently using a Phoenix .46 size Sukhoi Su-31 with a ST .51 in it but it is really too small. Unfortunately if I want to fly....

Something in the 1.20 size 4-stroke would be good. The GP 60 size Extra with a Saito 100 or 1.20 would be a good start or if you are looking for an ARF they make one in that size too.

Checkout RCC for used a/c but they usually go pretty fast if they are half decent. Contrary to what craig said early.. he forgot to mention he placed third at Chatham with that same Vector Flight Extra... seems to fly nice and hey built here in Canada.. yes it is an ARF.

Or go with the CG Extra or Sukhoi Su-26 in kit form if you want to build.

There are lots of choices out there.

So what are you intending to fly?

Basic
Sportsman
Intermediate
Advanced
Unlimited

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As Nike used to say......

Just do it!

Bob Hudson 08-11-2004 08:59 AM

You guys IN Basic ( or considering) Basic should think about many of the "larger" fun fly type planes to get an intor with.

In particular I am think about the Giant Stinger ( 84") and Stinger 120, any other planes similar to this configuratin. ( how about the Frog !! )

These types of planes are perfect for your first gas engine too !!

These types of planes are "trainer type" planes ( forgiving ) yet capable of Basic (even Sportsman and Intermediate) flight.

The Giant Stinger would be a perfect ride for a DA-50, BME 44/50 etc. And, the plane itself is cheap and easy to biuild. I think there is even an ARF version ??

ronm 08-11-2004 09:15 AM

Good point Bob.
The Funtana, particularly the .90 size, would be perfect.
(See Flexposition's ad)

craigk 08-11-2004 11:07 AM

choices

I was thinking about one also, with a 120 or 150 four stroker.
but by the time I added it up, and knowing that I am more serious about IMAC competition next year, there's not much more to getting a good "entry level" (75" - 80") gasser

gus 08-11-2004 11:45 AM

Well......

I am trying to convince myself that some IMAC next year is a possibility. I only had my wings for a year, but I am flying often, and have some aptitude for it... (i.e. I am probably over-confident ..... ;-)

I helped onload a 1.20 size sukhoi recently (from some unsuspecting soul who should at this point be regretting the sale :cry: ) and I am hoping it will make my inadequacies less visible... or maybe, it will make them more visible - enough for me to be able to correct them.

At the price these phoenix ARF's are going for (in the $250 range), I think it is a no-brainer type purchase. They are not perfect planes, but I can vouch for mine in that it did the most fantastic stall turn on the first upline of it's maiden flight. For Basic I don;t think I need anything more than the standard futaba servos I have on it. It's using a 120 size glow 2 stroke (Thunder tiger).

Next year I hope to see you guys on the IMAC circuit....

For the record... 72" wingspan.

gus

ronm 08-11-2004 01:06 PM

Gus, there is no reason not to think that your Sukhoi would be a perfect airplane to start with in IMAC.

Time to start practicing, maybe you will come to the Ottawa Nats, or the London season ender.

Gary Maker 08-11-2004 10:14 PM

And as Ron will varify, we have a fellow in our club who got his wings last September and has flown in two local IMAC events this year.

You will learn as much OR more about flying by participating in one IMAC event than you will in burning holes in the sky for a year at your field! The best and fastest way to progress is not time in the hobby but getting out and doing IMAC with a group of guys with the same interest. Just my personal opinion but I know I did.

The dicipline of flying precision aerobatics is an awsome experience and you will meet a lot of great fellows who will help you. Want to learn how to do aerobatics properly? How to set up your plane the right way? And have some of the best times you will ever have in the hobby? Then you have got to give IMAC a try.