RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Heli Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Goblin 630 Build (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=144672)

Tower 08-08-2012 05:09 AM

Goblin 630 Build

22 Attachment(s)
The Goblin 630 comes in a very rugged box which feels quite heavy and densely packed when you first lift it. Actual weight is 10lb 13.7 oz. or 4.925 kilos. It is 35 1/2 long by 11 1/4 wide by 6 1/2 inches deep (90x29x16.5 cm).

The box is printed in the green goblin colors on a background of carbon fiber - it is well done. Inside are a number of fitted boxes containing the parts.

The canopy is large (compared to a trex 600) and striking and should be very easy to see in the air. Tail boom and blades are packaged together. There is a box full of nuts and bolts and bits and pieces that are all clearly labeled. A flat box contains all the carbon fiber pieces including the landing gear, which are also well labeled. A large square box contains four stacked rigid foam trays , the contents reek of quality. Each tray contains the metal subcomponents of the head, tail, and drive train. You almost don't want to open them - they are a work of art.

On first glance the manual is amazing. I have downloaded the PDF version but having the full color real deal in your hands is very satisfying. You can tell they put a lot of thought into this.

Initial impressions - Wow - can't wait to get started - really nice.

help110 08-08-2012 08:06 AM

Re: Goblin 630 Build

Hi Jeremy
what a fantastic looking kit can't wait to see it at the field. Will keep my eyes on this thread to watch your progress
have a great day
Thanks Mike

Max 08-08-2012 08:49 AM

Oh my, that is a fine looking kit.

Just putting it together must be immensely satisfying. Ain't it nice working with such fine precision parts?

4wdmt 08-08-2012 09:23 AM

Plus 1 props for you J. Nice way to start another great build thread. I will definitely keep coming back here.

al_voisine 08-08-2012 06:23 PM

Jeremy

Great looking kit, thanks for sharing.

I expect to see it fly in September when I make it down your way.

AL

NinjaToes 08-08-2012 08:21 PM

Keeping an eye on the build. Mighty tempting I tell you :yes:

Tower 08-09-2012 05:08 AM

Hey guys

The price of these just dropped 100 bucks - a promo - the vendor contacted me and gave me a credit against future purchase - Bonus!!

And Al - sept 15 - I'll try! :)

Frame up next

Tower 08-09-2012 05:26 AM

Goblin 630 Build - Frame

30 Attachment(s)
The frame comes together very quickly. Including understanding the process for building the kit ( reading the manual :) ) and finding the parts the whole thing took 45 minutes.

The manual clearly shows what parts from what bags and boxes are used in each step. Bags within the numbered "step" bags are clearly labelled with their part numbers (i.e. bag 1 contains parts x, y, and z)

You build the battery tray first. It is made up of 3 frame spacers and 2 pieces of carbon fiber. the carbon fiber holes are counter sunk so it is hard to mix things up. The ESC bracket comes next, it is made up of two more of the identical spacers and one piece of carbon fiber. All the pieces are nicely made.

The frame is assembled using the battery tray, esc bracket, and two landing gear supports. The bolts used are beefy M3s and the load they impose on the carbon fiber is spread with "finishing washers". The instructions have you start off assembling one side frame completely and then adding the other frame. A word of caution here - it is possible to get the frame twisted a bit and keeping all the screws a little loose and then tightening them while pushing down the frame on a flat surface straightened it out for me.

Note - the battery tray allows for one of two sets of holes to be used that increase or decrease the room for batteries by 4mm (60-64 mm). I choose the extra room - your trade-off is less space for the ESC below the battery tray - no worries in my case. Take care - you can easily bend the tray slightly and use the upper holes near the middle of the frame and lower ones at the front - don't ask how I know this.

The final step is to insert a rubber grommet cable pass through in the frame on the right side. It is designed to provide an access between the motor and ESC that is free of sharp carbon fiber edges.

The frame? - very nice - everything fits, manual is clear, goes together very quickly. I do miss the little bottle of thread lock that comes with the Gaui and Align kits but I think I'll live with that ;)

belcom 08-09-2012 08:45 AM

Jeremy, watch for the issue with head play described here http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=442190

I wouldn't fly it too hard until this is addresses/resolved. I don't have the issue on my latest yellow 700 kit but my buddy reports he does on his 700 red kit out of the latest batch. Either the dampeners are not the correct size or there is some kind of QC issue with the head blocks. I guess things like that can be a pain when dealing with newly released kits. In any case, check yours to make sure.

Jimmy P 08-09-2012 10:24 AM

At least it's not a compass I tried to help the distributor with his first nitro and the oneway blew up in the clutch in 3 minutes, we were done, and the guy never came back after that so I dropped the idea of buying one. This looks like a very well designed aircraft, some pics as you go please.