RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   3D airframe (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=147943)

tallone66 10-11-2012 01:04 AM

3D airframe

OK, not wanting to cause a brand war here, just some questions for those in the know. I do ask that all peoples opinions are respected, and no one gets trashed.

I am looking for a full on 3D/freestyle airframe. 50-70cc size.
I do have an older lainier edge 540, love the plane, bit the design lends itself to be more of an imac plane ( wich is fine by me, I have been practicing the imac basic to get back into the swing of things). The Edge will do some of the 3d stuff, but it is not overly great when it comes to tumbles, and in high alpha, it gets real nasty wing rock.
I am looking for an airframe that has good strength, and quality. Have been thinking of a yak, or another edge, but I am not certain on which company to go with.
Remember the basic question is a 3d/freestyle, something that a person can cut loose with and is designed with that flting in mind.

Cheers
Derrick

Bdegan 10-11-2012 07:14 AM

Re: 3D airframe

In the 50cc class there are a lot of good airframe out there now.
But there are 3 in my mind that stand out as really good throw it down 3D airframe.
The 3D Hobbyshop AJ Slick 540 and 3D Hobbyshop Extra 330 and
The Pilot RC Edge 540.

They have slightly different flying characteristics.

I have the AJ Slick and really like it. But it is the most expensive of the bunch, and the heaviest. But...... It is also the largest as well. It is one of the largest 50cc class planes on the market at the moment.
The Pilot Edge540 is a really nice size, and very light. They average about 14.5 lbs dry.

For someone just getting into 3D or someone wanting to sharpen their skills. I would recommend the Pilot Edge with a DLE 55. Fly it with just the stock muffler if noise is not a huge concern at your field. It's not that loud when prop'd correctly.
It is a very reasonably priced, which allows a person to spend a little more and equip it with good digital servos. They do make a difference in how a plane flys. Especially when trying to fly high alpha close to the ground.
Cheers

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Bdegan 10-11-2012 07:21 AM

You were also talking about wing rock.
Wing rock is usually the byproduct of 2 things..... Weight and Center of Gravity.
I like lighter planes. They help when learning 3D because they have less tendancy to tip stall. And are easier to recover if you make a mistake.

CG.. Most 3D flyers will tell you that you will usually need to move the CG back to have the best 3d flight characteristics.
A nose heavy plane that flys straight and tracks really well will usually suffer a bit at 3D.
Don't be afraid to experiment a little.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

rotormonkey13 10-11-2012 07:53 AM

Two airframes I've played with and really liked for 3d:

The EG slick 540. It flies 3d awesome. But it's a big ol' piece of garbage for precision flying. You also can't get spare parts for it (cowl, wings, landing gear, etc). Wouldn't recommend it because of that. GREAT 3d plane though.

The Extreme Flight 88" Yak 54. I haven't played with the 50cc version (I have the 100cc) - though by most accounts the 50cc flies nearly as good. This is hands down the best airplane I've ever flown. I tracks really good for precision type stuff, and lays down the 3d like nobody's business. Super light wingloading, locks into nice axial rollers and dead solid torque rolls. You can make it so tail heavy that if you fly an inverted 45, and take your hands off the sticks, it'll go straight up... and it still flies great set up like that! Fantastic airplane. The only one on par from what I've read is the 3dhs AJ slick that Brad mentioned. Personally if it was me, I'd go with one of them.

tallone66 10-11-2012 10:35 AM

Thanks guy's. Are these airframes availible in Canada??? and if so, where. Would love to say that cost is not an issue, but I do, and will spend the coin on solid quality, firm believer in you get what you pay for.
Brad, I will try playing with the CG on my plane and see if that helps as well. But a new airframe is definatly in the works this winter.
Are the areoworks any good as well?? the planes seem to be of decent quality, but asking about the full on 3D.

Thanks
Derrick

rotormonkey13 10-11-2012 12:12 PM

I know the pilot products can be bought in Canada from AMR or Orleans Hobbies (here in Ottawa).

afaik the 3dhs, and EF products can only be obtained from the US directly through them. I thought I read about somebody in the GTA distributing the 3dhs stuff, but I don't recall the specifics.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/

Bdegan 10-11-2012 01:05 PM

The 3D hobby stuff is available from A&J hobbies here in Toronto.
Extreme Flight is direct only from the US.

I looked up Kitmat. You are not close to the border ( washington ) so that rules out having something shipped there and going to pick it up.
Unless you have friend in Vancouver that is willing to do that for you ;)

The aeroworks planes are nice. Well built and robust. But they are heavier.
They lend themselves more to IMAC than 3D.

For economy and parts availability... Pilot is the best option for a lot of us here in Canada.
Pilots new crash and repair policy is above and beyond. Check it out :)

tallone66 10-11-2012 05:08 PM

Looking at a pilot edge right now. AMR has none in stock, will have to search some. will keep you folks posted whan one is found.
Yes Brad, I live in the sticks. 16 hrs from Van. Edmonton is closer ( 15 hrs, who is counting).
Thanks for all the help.

Cheers
Derrick

Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca 10-11-2012 06:44 PM

332 Attachment(s)
I find yaks often fly lighter for simular wing loading because they have thicker airfoils. I like edges when they are very light.

just my thoughts, I have both and an AJ slick

sibola 10-12-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallone66 (Post 994161)
Looking at a pilot edge right now. AMR has none in stock, will have to search some. will keep you folks posted whan one is found.
Yes Brad, I live in the sticks. 16 hrs from Van. Edmonton is closer ( 15 hrs, who is counting).
Thanks for all the help.

Cheers
Derrick

Hey Derrrick I'm also looking at getting a new plane this winter. I'm leaning towards the 89" AJ Slick. Put a 3w55 in it or a Da60. Hey when you going on your road trip.