RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Ordering a Biela prop from Canada (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=205735)

grosbeak 11-13-2013 11:37 AM

Ordering a Biela prop from Canada

I'm looking for a 16" 3-blade prop with a solid hub. Biela makes a CF prop in 16 x 10 - black with yellow tips - and I'm interested, but there don't appear to be any Canadian distributors (Please correct me if I'm wrong - the only reference I found on Google was a three-year-old thread here at RCC - Biela props in Canada?)

According to the Biela website there are three US distributors:
  1. Aircraft International
  2. Chief Aircraft
  3. Troy Built Models

I contactede each of them.

Aircraft International replied first - they want $60.00 and will happily ship via USPS (my preferred carrier from the US) Express Mail for $15.00.

Next reply was from Chief Aircraft, a rather terse message stating that they don't carry the prop in the size I'm looking for.

Last reply was from TBM. They want $53.00 for the prop. However, they consider me to be an International Customer so per their policy my first order must be at least $100... They will ship USPS but I can't have a shipping quote until after I have submitted my order. They tell me I will have the chance to cancel if I find the shipping price too high. Here's the text of the email:

Quote:

For first time international customers we require the order be over $100, because these orders take more work than domestic orders. Also we think that most customers ordering an order less than $100 will cancel after finding out that the shipping cost more than the items.

Shipping international is always cheaper shipping by USPS. UPS shipping is way more expensive.

When shipping to Canada the shipping is usually under $50. It may be more depending on how big the package is. If you decided to cancel that would be ok.

Please let me know if you would like to order with us and I will create a sales order and start processing it.

Thank you!

I'll be going with Aircraft International for these reasons:
  • They don't have a minimum order
  • Their shipping fees are reasonable and available
  • They were the first to respond

I find TBM's policies puzzling. I've ordered RC parts (and other stuff ) from the US dozens of times and I've never run into such restrictions. I'll be letting them know.

Phil202 11-13-2013 11:40 AM

Re: Ordering a Biela prop from Canada

Aircraft International is awesome to deal with!
Easy and never any issue, i always get my FUCHS prop from him...

Cheers

grosbeak 11-13-2013 12:03 PM

Good to know - thanks Phil!

aceplant00 11-13-2013 12:24 PM

Have you contacted AMR about the prop. They don't list it on the site but did show some Beila props.

http://www.amr-rc.com/

I have dealt with them for a few things. Very easy to deal with.
In Canada as well

Billpilotca 11-13-2013 02:03 PM

I agree that Aircraft International has been very good in my experience. I have not ordered a lot from them but their service has been A1.

I would personally stay away from Chief and TBM based on past experience.

grosbeak 11-13-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billpilotca (Post 1396987)
I agree that Aircraft International has been very good in my experience. I have not ordered a lot from them but their service has been A1.

I would personally stay away from Chief and TBM based on past experience.

Good to know, thanks. Based on their responses I'm not especially enamoured of either.

Flyerpete 11-13-2013 03:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I ordered my Biela props online right from the factory itself. You can do that because they don't have a dealer in Canada. I also have 2 16x10x3 Biela props that I will not be using if you are interested. The are drilled for a DLE 30/35/55.

Nick Milligan 11-13-2013 04:55 PM

I hope you make the businesses you have contacted fully aware of your decisions and reasonings.

Flyerpete 11-13-2013 05:01 PM

Here is a link to the factory. They have a much larger selection than any dealer carries.

http://www.smigla.com/english/about.html

grosbeak 11-14-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Milligan (Post 1397018)
I hope you make the businesses you have contacted fully aware of your decisions and reasonings.

I certainly did. My email:

Hi Bobby,

The Biela website lists 2 US distributors besides TBM; I have contacted all three and have decided to go with another supplier because they do not enforce a minimum order and were able to respond with a very reasonable shipping quote up front.

I read your email thoroughly and I understand where you're coming from, but I've ordered items from US dozens of times and I've never encountered (a) a minimum order or (b) shipping rates that are only revealed after the order is submitted.

Thanks for your reply,

John.
TBM's Response:

John,

I understand. I’m sorry we could not help you and ship you your items.

I will cancel your order if you would like me to?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Bobby Johnston
International Sales
bobby@troybuiltmodels.com
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com
Inflexible, but at least polite about it. Incidentally, I never submitted an order, but I told him if that appeared to be the case on his end then to cancel it. I'm not worried - they don't have any payment information from me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerpete (Post 1397001)
I ordered my Biela props online right from the factory itself. You can do that because they don't have a dealer in Canada. I also have 2 16x10x3 Biela props that I will not be using if you are interested. The are drilled for a DLE 30/35/55.

Pete, I might be interested. My engine is an RCGF 32 and I found out to my dismay that the bolt pattern is just a little wider than the DLE 30's.

Still, I could easily fill those holes with dowels and re-drill, or just rotate the prop holes to fit. Yes, Pete, I'm definitely interested. PM sent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerpete (Post 1397019)
Here is a link to the factory. They have a much larger selection than any dealer carries.

http://www.smigla.com/english/about.html

Thanks for the link... Unfortunately, like so many other fine products these are represented by a terrible website. It's just about impossible to determine which prop image matches which size.

And how much do they charge to ship from Poland?